• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Safari Arms 54 cal Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erich.K

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi there first time poster and muzzleloader owner, I was bought this rifle as a christmas present from an auction so little info is know besides what is on it.

So what im hoping that anyone who has some knowledge of this could give me a hand, anything is greatly appreciated.

I will try to get some pictures up asap.

Thanks in advance

Erich Knight

Hi, Welcome! Pics would be great. Do you have any specific question? or are you wanting general information about your particular rifle? There are many great threads here about specific questions/issues relating to shooting BP rifles. You are more likely to get good responses if you ask some specific questions, as it can be hard to guess what someone is wanting to get at.

Thanks for the quick reply

I was looking for some general info on this rifle in particular but also the caliber, I've been to 3 stores now with little luck in finding anything for a 54 caliber.

I have a small box of .530 round shot that came with the rifle, Ive been trying to find a cleaning kit and other accessories, but with something like a ball puller and such do they need to be 54 cal specific or could I use a 50 cal cleaning jag etc.

Just kind of stuck at the moment with my search

Location St Albert,AB,Canada

if you need any other info let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Here are those pictures

imagejpeg23h.jpg

imagejpeg22s.jpg

imagejpeg2y.jpg

Your rifle is made by Investarms, it is the same rifle sold by Cabelas as their Hawken, and also by Dixie gunworks. These rifles can be very good shooters. Cleaning jags are caliber specific. Most sporting goods stores should have the supplies, .54 is a very common caliber. If you can't find anything locally, you can always order online.

Wish you were right sir but I checked every sporting goods and chain store for over 150 miles when I needed 54 supplies. Ended up ordering virtually everything online. Plenty of pellets, shotgun primers, and 50 caliber stuff for those foul pseudo-muzzleloaders but finding anything 45, 54, or 58 was akin to finding a white crow....

I'll second that. More often than not the floor walker when asked for .54 will say, here use this, it will be almost as good, and then point to the .50 stuff.

It's more a measure of the average hunter in your area than the stores. I'm betting no one but you is asking for 54, so they don't stock it. Simple math and business choices for them.

But you can cheat!

Stop by once a month or so and ask if they have any 54 yet. Get a few buds to do the same thing. Pretty quick you've started a movement! :rotf:

I'm only half kidding about that. I was the first around here to get a 54 and there were no supplies on shelves. Pretty quick my buds got interested and as they got 54's, critical mass reached a point the stores started stocking it.

Then one of the buds kicked over the apple cart when he got a 58 cal. Pretty quick we all had to have one and the local shop started stocking supplies and accessories. Now he tells me it's close to 58 cal outselling 54 cal, and either one outsells 50.

I went to the local wholesalesports because on the website it said they sold 54 cal rnd shot, the answer I got was it didn't sell well so they rarely stocked it.

Also you wouldnt happen to have any suggestions for ordering online?
Amazon.com has a cleaning kit but if I can order it all from the same spot it would make things easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it depends on your area, there is a Gander Mt., and several small sports shops, which I prefer, near me that carry traditional stuff. Pennsylvania has a flintlock only deer season, that may keep demand up a bit. Track of the Wolf would have everything you need.

Erich

You might want to give Track of the Wolf a try online. Also Dixie Gun Works online also.

Aim small.....Miss small

Welcome to the forum.

Yeah, I was going to suggest Track. Dixie is a good option too. I'll throw The Gun Works in the same league for variety, price and service.

Of those three, I buy most from Track, then The Gun Works, then Dixie, but that's my preference rather than any reflection on them.

If you look at Auction Arms, go to black powder and then look at Balls, Sabots & Bullets . You will find plenty of .54 caliber Naxi Balls and round balls. Your rifle likely has a 1 in 48" twist barrel and should shoot round balls and conicals well. You may also want to consider casting your own. Here is a great place to start: http://www.fmreloading.com/ . The savings tou'll find will soon pay for all your casting gear. You'll never have to worry about finding .54 projectiles again. Personally, .54 is my favorite caliber. I have four .54 rifles. You're going to love it :thumbsup:

With all of this talk about .54 this and .54 that I'll just toss in that either a .530 or .535 diameter lead roundball is the correct size to buy.

:thumbsup: I endorse the gun auction idea as I just recieved 500 50cal and they are good. Mine come from a guy in IA and he shipped fast with the priority mail. Its said 54 cal is the 530 is that right? sorry bout the question at the end , guess i was typing at the same time as yu

I checked out that website and sadly it says "Email requests to ship to places outside of the 50 US states will be ignored".

Also I was originaly hunting for just .530 but I'll give the other a look aswell.

thanks all for the replies and info just have to go and hunt down all that I need.

As a fellow Canadian, may I recommend that you deal with Londero Sports. They accept mail orders from anywhere in Canada. Their website is www.arcinter.com

They do carry traditional muzzleloading supplies in .54 caliber.

Here's what I would suggest you get to start shooting your .54 caliber muzzle loader.
.530 diameter lead round balls, a tin or two of #11 caps (I like Remington Black Powder caps), .015 thickness pre-lubed & pre-cut shooting patches in .50-.58 caliber, 100-200 cleaning patches, .54 caliber, .50 will do or cut your own from an old cotton t-shirt, an adjustable powder measure made of brass, .54 caliber cleaning jag, screw in ball puller, a short starter, and a tool box large enough to put it all in with some extra room still left inside it. Since you are in Canada, traditional black powder such as Goex may be difficult to find so I would go with Triple 7 in 2Fg granulation if you find it, if not them Pyrodex RS. Read the owners manual, twice. I would start with 55 grains of powder, shoot several times at the same spot and increase your powder charge in 5 grain increments until your groups get nice and tight, then you're there. You may have to swab the barrel in between each shot, every 4-5 shots or every dozen times you drop the hammer on another fresh powder charge, it depends on your own particular rifle. Swabbing is just running a cleaning patch down and back out to remove some of the fouling and make loading easy again. You can use spit to lube your cleaning patch, dampen it with alcohol or use any number of homemade lubes but never use a dry patch only as you'll push more junk back down into the bore which will cause misfires (or no-fires for that matter). If I left something out, it will be mentioned but I hope this helps.

Once you get home from the range you only need a drop or two of liquid soap in warm water to clean the bore completely, then apply your favorite rust preventative inside and out sparingly.

PS- I would also get another nipple or two as the ones from the factory are generally less than satisfactory. Investarms nipples are usually 6 X .75, get a SS or bronze (TRESO) replacement.

Trot said:
Your rifle is made by Investarms, it is the same rifle sold by Cabelas as their Hawken, and also by Dixie gunworks. These rifles can be very good shooters. Cleaning jags are caliber specific. Most sporting goods stores should have the supplies, .54 is a very common caliber. If you can't find anything locally, you can always order online.
I'll second that! Your gun is a clone of the .54 Cabela's Hawken my wife owns (it is stamped so) and that confirms that Investarms sold their guns to any company/distributor that wanted to sell muzzleloading firearms with their name on the barrel. Kinda like a "JC Higgins" of muzzleloaders so to speak...BPS

Back