• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rust...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you think was used in the 19th century to clean BP? Water was used, plentiful and cheap. And now, water mixed with Ballistol (moose milk) makes a fantastic BP cleaner and protectant. If any water residue is left in hard to reach places, the water will evaporate and the Ballistol stays on to protect the metal against rust. A quick wipe with full strength Ballistol and done.

Engine oils contain base additives to neutralize combustion acids, detergents to keep varnish dissolved, dispersants to keep the particles in suspension so they can be filtered out rather than settle out and form sludge, anti-oxidants to keep the oil itself from oxidizing, anti-corrosives to help prevent internal parts from rusting, pour point depressants, and viscosity modifiers (long chain polymers to thicken oil asbit gets hot). Also some boundary lubricants, typically a metal compound. Basically good stuff for guns of all types.
I knew someone would upset me eventually! You posted the facts as they are and my mind was already made up knowing motor oil is terrible for a fire arm? I know it is bad . I read on the internet! LOL!

water+metal = rust! i never put water on my guns! i use Windex with ammonia to clean. it melts the bp off. then i oil. i never get rust. if Daniel Boone would have had Windex i am sure his picture would be on the bottle right now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Windex is mostly water!
Windex is also high pH. Acids promote rust and acids are low pH. But removing the left-over water with alcohol (91% alcohol is still 9% water) is a good idea.
Use denatured alcohol!

Back