• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Running a file

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metalshaper

40 Cal.
Reaction score
To the gang,
and with the Moderator's proviso?

The topic of milling and filing came up a few topics back. I put in my two cents worth, and mentioned doing most of my work by hand. Here is one of the examples, of making it by using hand tools and a drill press..

Jenks2.jpg

Jenks.jpg

These are pics of a Jenks carbine,,that I'm slowly trying to build from scratch. As you can see, it loads from the wrong end,< sorry about that >, but used loose powder and ball, kind of like the Hall..

I offer it as only an example of what can be done,, if you think about it long enough and are willing to put in some labor and improvise!! The frame was cut/filed from industrial angle iron, 1" thick on each side.. the lever is cut from 3/4" flat stock and the lifting handle heated and bent into shape..

The Jenks is a 1837-39 design, and a Mule Ear as well. Just one of those guns,,I just fell in love with?? Can't afford the real thing..so I'll try to make one of my own..

Respect Always
Metalshaper

While it is my considered opinion that breech loading will never replace proper front loading firearms, I wouldn't mind some follow up photographs as this project continues. Great work!

Now that should surely give you a lot of satisfaction using "primitive" tools such as a file. People are always amazed and remark "where's the machinery" when they're in my shop after seeing the LRs produced. Served a 5 yr. tool and diemaker apprenticeship starting in 1954 and consider myself lucky that using a file for precision work was an every day occurence. A hacksaw, drill press, file and ample patience are all that's needed to turn out work as in your pics. Very nice indeed........Fred

Great work! :)

Not to steal your post, but just as a side note for those people who want a refresher course about files, you might want to look at this old post I made some time ago :
FILING 101.1

Any chance in seeing pictures of a set of files one should have in his/her collection. I read your post Zonie. Very good. :thumbsup:

Zonie said:
Great work! :)

Not to steal your post, you might want to look at this old post I made some time ago :>>>

Zonie,

Thanks for the compliment..

I wish I had remembered that former posting.. when I started running at the keyboard :redface: I would have just refered to it, as a proper example!! I guess more than anything, I was trying to show, that you don't 'have' to own all the fancy equipment,, to Get-r done.

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Metalshaper, you most certainly deserve your handle! That's an ambitious project. For a short time I owned and shot a Merrill carbine, and enjoyed shooting a Civil War Maynard as well. But the Jenks is older. What's next, a Westley Richards monkeytail?! Very inspiring stuff. Please do keep us updated.

I repair Grandfather clocks and the such, and when you work on an antique movement and realize the these were made by hand, cutting the gears by hand with jigs and the assembly proccess to make a machine that keeps time to within a couple of minutes a month, amazing :hmm:

BillinOregon said:
What's next, a Westley Richards monkeytail?! Very inspiring stuff. Please do keep us updated.

Bill,

I have lots of projects that need finishing, before I can get back to the Jenks.. Some barrel work and such..

but the actual plan is for a Billinghurst Revolver Rifle!! Then a Flint Double shotgun.. After that I have the parts to an old BL double 12 gauge, that I want to try and rebuild/repair.. Somewhere in there..finish the two longrifles and make my own Custom Mar/Dag Underhammer..

Dang,, I'm tired just thinking about it!! :winking:

Respect Always
Metalshaper

Latest posts

Back