• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round ball mmold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trapper704

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a green mt. drop in 40 cal bbl for my lyman gp. what size mold do I need to get ? a 380 or what. I will probly use 10 thousands patchs. Thanks That wild bunch at PPR got me into the squirrel shoots last year. :thumbsup:

Thanks I would probly need the 390 then. I didn't know exactly the bore dia. of a 40 cal green mt bbl. I bought this one used.

I got a .395 mold for my .40 cal. because after going back on some very old posts in this forum and another forum, everyone that had a .40 used the .395 roundball and a .16 patch. I could'nt find anyone who used a .390 roundball. :idunno:

Rather than guess about bore diameter and ball /parch combo, get a selection of different size balls from Eddie Mays & try them with different patch thicknesses (10thou is pretty thin). Then, after you know what your gun likes, order the proper size mold & recast any left over off size balls. This way you will get the best results & not be stuck with a mold in a size that you don't need.

armakiller said:
I got a .395 mold for my .40 cal. because after going back on some very old posts in this forum and another forum, everyone that had a .40 used the .395 roundball and a .16 patch. I could'nt find anyone who used a .390 roundball. :idunno:

I do, have for 20 some years...

Actually in a smaller caliber I'm not sure you have to have the tight combos needed for larger calibers as you aren't using much powder so patch burnout usually isn't a problem...

My Rapine bag mold is .390, I use .018 ticking...But my barrel is a Rayle...

I've also shot .395s, since it's such a small ball, it conforms to the bore easily and goes down fine...

What you need to do is order both, try them, then decide...When you get a mold you can change the ones that are wrong...Or, you may find like me that your rifle will shoot both...

Loyalist Dave said:

No seriously, for some reason, the cast round balls that are sold by Track-of-The-Wolf aren't .390, they are labeled ".389". Look here. They shoot well though in my GM barrel.

Wierd right??

LD
Click to the next page to find 390 and 395,
Got quite an assortment to pick from huh? :idunno:

Got a Lee mold that casts .397. The balls from it seem to work as well as the .390's just depending on the patch material.

Thanks for the advice, always can count on good info from you guys. Could only find 395 in new hornadays. so will start there and work forward. I have 15 patchs for my 54 and a pack of 10 thousands for my trade gun, will cut some of them :thumbsup: down and try that.

Back