• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rogers and spencer question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
rogers and spencer.jpg

Does anyone know the value of this Rogers and spencer? I have never seen one in a "stainless steal look"? I bought this off of an auction. No spin marks on the cylinder. I really believe it has never been fired. No rust. Very very clean.

Attachments

• 2rogers and spencer.jpg
    2rogers and spencer.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 0
It's worth whatever you paid for it. They made a stainless version but I don't know how common they are and that was many years ago. You are missing the 2 piece male/female screw (the empty hole in front of the cylinder) that retains the cylinder pin so do not try to load the cylinder on the gun with the lever as you will bend it. Parts are very difficult to find and S&S has some but not what you need. Just checked and Dixie doesn't either.

That hole is not threaded as the 2 piece screw screws into itself. If you want to load the gun find or make a pin that is a good fit to the hole and slip it in for loading. It doesn't have to stay there as the loading lever/cylinder pin will stay in place by itself when it is latched and is safe to shoot that way.

Last edited:
It's hard to use the magnet test because some stainless is still magnetic.

If a magnet doesn't stick. It is 100% stainless

It may be a blued gun or a "London Grey" model someone shined up

You could also use a cylinder loader to load it

It isn't quite as saleable with the missing lever screw but Rogers & Spencer repros are desirable on the used gun market and someone will probably be willing to pay for it

It's worth whatever you paid for it. They made a stainless version but I don't know how common they are and that was many years ago. You are missing the 2 piece male/female screw (the empty hole in front of the cylinder) that retains the cylinder pin so do not try to load the cylinder on the gun with the lever as you will bend it. Parts are very difficult to find and S&S has some but not what you need. Just checked and Dixie doesn't either.

That hole is not threaded as the 2 piece screw screws into itself. If you want to load the gun find or make a pin that is a good fit to the hole and slip it in for loading. It doesn't have to stay there as the loading lever/cylinder pin will stay in place by itself when it is latched and is safe to shoot that way.
Thank you very much for your comment. I realized the pin missing.

It's hard to use the magnet test because some stainless is still magnetic.

If a magnet doesn't stick. It is 100% stainless

It may be a blued gun or a "London Grey" model someone shined up

You could also use a cylinder loader to load it

It isn't quite as saleable with the missing lever screw but Rogers & Spencer repros are desirable on the used gun market and someone will probably be willing to pay for it
Ive heard of that magnet trick but never tried it. Thank you also for your comment. very helpful

$450 is a good price

Try to track down that screw and it will be at least a $500ish gun , if it's stainless than more than that
Thanks for the info. That is what I was looking for. I KNOW good luck on finding the screw. Seems like there is always a catch. ugh The pistol looks brand new never fired, rock solid. I have a great gun smith that might be able to make one.

View attachment 176597
Does anyone know the value of this Rogers and spencer? I have never seen one in a "stainless steal look"? I bought this off of an auction. No spin marks on the cylinder. I really believe it has never been fired. No rust. Very very clean.
I saw a NIB stainless recently at a small show; Laser engraved! New in box. Had never seen a stainless before! I do have a regular blue-ey.

View attachment 176597
These things grow on you; I got a minty blue a few years back and love it.

Second best percussion revolver made after the ROA in my opinion. I let two get away in my younger, poorer days...And well before they were discontinued. I picked up another a few years ago, and it'll not be going anywhere as long as I'm still above ground.

Non-magnetic stainless steels are high-alloyed, with a larger percentage of chromium and other elements. And they are more expensive than typical firearms stainless steels, which are almost universally magnetic. The firearms stainless steels are fully satisfactory in terms of rust resistance, but the magnet test alone can be misleading. A touch on an un-obvious spot with cold blue will determine whether the gun is or is not stainless.

mhb - MIke

Non-magnetic stainless steels are high-alloyed, with a larger percentage of chromium and other elements. And they are more expensive than typical firearms stainless steels, which are almost universally magnetic. The firearms stainless steels are fully satisfactory in terms of rust resistance, but the magnet test alone can be misleading. A touch on an un-obvious spot with cold blue will determine whether the gun is or is not stainless.

mhb - MIke
Thanks for posting that

I still kick myself because Dixie had those old Euroarms London Greys in stock for years after Euroarms went under. I think until probably 2015 or so, maybe later . I looked at them probably once per week for years and continued to buy stuff like Ruger GP100's I didn't even need......and then they were sold out.......I'm like why didn't I buy a pair of those things ....

I still kick myself because Dixie had those old Euroarms London Greys in stock for years after Euroarms went under. I think until probably 2015 or so, maybe later . I looked at them probably once per week for years and continued to buy stuff like Ruger GP100's I didn't even need......and then they were sold out.......I'm like why didn't I buy a pair of those things ....
I found a used London Gray last year. It was in neglected shape but I couldn't help myself as years ago I passed up a brand new one and regretted it for ever.

Back