• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Robson Buffalo 558

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coug167

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello,
New to the forum so first id like to say hello all.
My name is cliff thompson i love old guns of all kinds. I also shoot fast draw and have many Records in the sport. with that being said ...
I found a Robson Buffalo 558 ive found very little to no info about it..that is all it says on the barrel aswell..does anyone have any input as to when it was made,,whats it worth and so forth? thanks a ton Cougar (Cliff)

"MADE BY T BLAND & SONS FOR J O ROBSON BUFFALO NY" The gun was placed about 1870 He thougt the gun was was being imported to feed the need for guns for market hunting...esp for waterfowl on Champlain...."

Maybe this will help in Your Search...Welcome aboard..Any Pics??

The 588 May be a serial number or production number. Every other reference I was able to find had the Robson name and a different number following it. They look like working grade rifles, according to the picures I have seen. Nice looking rifles..almost Hawken Like in appearance...

Another one that sold for an undisclosed amount in Sept. 2011
"45/16 Ga Percussion, Mfg By James O. Robson Of Buffalo, New York Who Was A Gun Maker Ther From 1850-1880, 31" Barrels- Rifle Over Damascus Twist Barrel Shotgun, All Metal Parts Are A Smooth Patina, Two Ramrods Ride On Either Side Of Barrel, Silver Patchbox On Side OF Buttstock, Ornate Silver Decor On Bottom Of Stock Contain A Trap For Caps, Silver Inlay Of Dog On Left Cheek Piece, Crescent Butt, Brass Engraved Trigger Guard." From icollect.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, i have no luck in finding any info..I am looking to sell it and was wanting to find out what its worth..i seen one a couple years ago sell on gunbroker for over $1000 but it looked to be realy nice.. this one was found in a barn.Ive not touched it in 2 years..it looks the same as when i brought home

When selling an original muzzle loading rifle, famous makers count but condition is most important. J.O. Robson of Buffalo, was one of the better N.Y. State rifle makers of the 1850-1880 period. He was not that prolific (apparently selling many second hand guns according to his period advertisements)and had many guns made for him under contract by English and other European gun makers. He is best known for half-stock percussion target rifles in the .36 to .41 caliber range. Most of his later rifles have English back action locks and barrels made by Hitchcock & Muzzy of Massachusetts. His rifles are often german silver mounted as well. Western New York was not on the frontier at Robson's time and there were no Indian wars or dangerous game about. However, there was a relatively large German-origin population who enjoyed target and small game shooting as a sport and these were his customers. Most Robson rifles have some adornment in the way in inlays but they are mostly plain, servicable, low-cost target guns.

Back