• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

River Cane Uses

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My shooting cross sticks are made from river cane, I take them with me when I hunt off the ground, I am a lousy off hand shot. Of course, I add period correct heat shrink tubing to the crotch so as not to mar my guns finish.

block blind cross sticks.JPG

I made these quickly for a one-time use, that was about 10 years ago, still using them.

My fancy swivel, works OK.

shooting stix.JPG

Lefter over hickory ramrod scraps glued into the tips to make the sticks more durable and get a better purchase in the ground.

shooting stix tips.JPG

I have just been in touch with a friend in South Africa and he reminded me that the Boer flintlock were called bobbejaanbouts (babboon's thigh -- for the shape of the buttstock) and the buckshot loads were called lopers (runners in English). A bobbejaanbout might be as large as an 8 bore, and be six feet or longer so that it could be loaded from horseback with the butt resting on the ground.
Eric, those are very fine cross-sticks. You would be quite at home with those on an African safari.

Powder measures/chargers, preloaded/premeasured tubes of shot, and the hollow necks of ball bags, mostly. I know I've made other items, just can't think of them at the moment.
20210118_110207.jpg
20210106_212845.jpg
20210103_122306.jpg
20200403_135659.jpg
20210103_121918.jpg

Second to last pic os the premeasured tubes of shot.
Last pic is a ball bag neck and plug ready to have a bag fitted to it.
I've made a lot more of the powder/shot measures, but I could only quickly find the pic that includes the antler ones. I kind of like the cane/bamboo better. The two strung together are 10 grains different, smaller one for powder and larger one for shot.

Thinking of using a section for a needle case and sewing kit.

Arrowshafts... in Muskogee, the word for "arrow" and the word for "rivercane" are the same... A HUGE amount of our material culture was made from cane, up through the eighteenth century... Large woven mats, up to 75 or a hundred feet square, were used as a covering over at least one major squaregrounds. Fans, cornmeal sifting baskets, a LOT of other baskets, boxes, and containers, quivers, flute cases, blowguns and blowgun darts, medicine tubes, small torches, and the most wickedly sharp and effective scalping knives you could ever imagine... Just some of the traditional uses of the various Arundinaria species native to the Southeast.
Oh, and on behalf of my white relatives in Tennessee, noters and split cane picks for my mountain dulcimer!
You could spend a lifetime coming up with uses for the stuff!

Watched a spectacular use of cane in Saudi Arabia, it's called caning. The canes were about the size of butts of fishing poles. The huge man wielding the cane had worn four when he hit lick number fifty.

BTW: In addition to Saudi Arabia, Singapore canes law breakers. We need public caning in the US.

From what I've read, it's a leftover piece of British Maritime Law that was applied even in non-maritime cases in some British colonies, and continued... or even spread... from there.

Powder flask. Made a smaller one about 1" diameter as well. Make em any height you want. Can be used for powder or shot. Different spout makes a priming flask possible.
I have this shorter piece that was real close to the base of one of the canes, 3/16” thick and holds about 220 grains of powder. I’m thinking this one will make an excellent priming“flask”. Although I’m thinking of adding in a piece of softwood to the opening and drilling a hole through it for a slower pour.

Attachments

• 350ECF0D-5F92-4CB9-86B8-1BFABD52F25E.jpeg
    350ECF0D-5F92-4CB9-86B8-1BFABD52F25E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 30193407-B778-473B-B871-C918CC5A7BC8.jpeg
    30193407-B778-473B-B871-C918CC5A7BC8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hello,
I’m in luck to be near a significant source of River cane, and I’ve collected about 24’ worth of it. There’s easily a thousand feet or more cane in one particular spot. I’m thinking of making a bunch of powder measures, pre-measured charges, and spice containers. What would y’all make out of River cane?
If you use them for Atlatl darts, you can straighten them pretty easily with heat. I used an alcohol lamp with "denatured" alcohol (because it flames at lower temperature than any other alcohol) to straighten bamboo. After a lot of practice with bamboo strips, I treated the the sets (permanent bends) in a 1930's split bamboo rod and working slowly and patiently straightened it right out. When you reach the right temperature with cane, it moves very easily. Then you just have to hold it in place while it cools off and it will stay the shape you moved it too. I wouldn't use flame to do this anymore, rather use a heat gun on it's lowest setting and use one of those fan-type nozzle extensions so it heats a wider area if needed. Heat and turn, heat and turn, heat and turn, so you heat it up evenly. When you get it to the right temperature it bends with almost no effort.

If you try to bend it too soon, you will hear some fibers crack...not as critical as with a fly rod, but you need to heat it up more before trying to bend and don't use as much force trying to bend it. Now...if you heat it up too much, it will become brittle and then it can break easily. So it's definitely the Goldilock's effect with the heat - not too little, but not too much.

Best way to do this is to clamp your heat gun in position so the nozzle is pointing up; turn it on low; and then use both hands to turn and move the cane, heating up the part between your hands typically 6" or less at a time. This way you can flex it slightly as you heat it and you will feel it immediately when it moves easily. Then sight down it and see where the next part that needs straightening is. Be sure to spin it on its axis to check for bends. If you're going to do a number of these, then set up a fan close by and while holding the cane in the position you want it to set in, put it in front of the fan to cool it off.

If you have a friend who hunts turkeys or geese, the wing quill feathers are great to use for fletching the atlatl dart. In a pinch, you can use....wait for it...Duct Tape as a temporary fletching. Lay about a 6" piece of duct tape face up, put the shaft of the dart in the middle of it at a 90° angle, and lay another piece of duct tape on top of that (adhesive sides together), pressing them together. Then trim to size It's only 2 fletchings instead of three and it looks pretty red-neck, but it works if you just have to throw that atlatl dart before fletching it with feathers...I've done that a couple of times because it's far more stable with fletchings for a longer distance than without them.

Hello,
I’m in luck to be near a significant source of River cane, and I’ve collected about 24’ worth of it. There’s easily a thousand feet or more cane in one particular spot. I’m thinking of making a bunch of powder measures, pre-measured charges, and spice containers. What would y’all make out of River cane?
I prefer the cane pieces about 3/8" in diameter to make powder measures. Looks dandy on a hunting bag for a Southern mountain style rifle and is historically accurate.

You could also take a larger piece like you have a couple inches long with a segment in the middle. Plug both ends and use it for salt and pepper.

I prefer the cane pieces about 3/8" to make powder measures. Looks dandy on a hunting bag for a Southern mountain style rifle and is historically accurate.

You could also take a larger piece like you have a couple inches long with a segment in the middle. Plug both ends and use it for salt and pepper.
I’ve got a piece I’ve set aside for a powder measure once I receive my new flintlock. I love how lightweight River cane can be, it’s perfect for hanging from a bag.

That’s a smart idea, a “two in one” for salt and pepper. I’ll definitely be making that too

So what is the difference between river cane and bamboo ?
Not sure at a scientific level. Bamboo seems stronger and straighter to me, but we don't have good quality river cane here. The walls of what we have here are thin and it seems fragile to me. What I see here also seems to change direction at every joint/node.
Maybe our growing season isn't long enough for it to grow strong?

What I see some other people using and what I've seen growing in states to my south doesn't seem that much different than bamboo, I could see it as reasonable to use one as a substitute for the other.

Last edited:
It used to be used as a deterrent or punishment for those who couldn't keep their sticky fingers off others things as well as other crimes.

Rivercane, switch cane, and the other native Arundinaria species are types of bamboo. But the bamboo species that we CALL bamboo are Asian natives (Bambusa spp). Cane is better suited to temperate climates, and bamboo to tropical climates. Bamboos tend to be larger overall.
While the Arundinaria spp are native to North America, all of the Bambusae in North America are invasive, and the very devil to get rid of once they’re established.
Jay

Smaller short diameter of cane good for pipe stems to ceramic pipe bowls. Lashed together for bird cages and fish weirs for trapping. Made lots of arrows and atlatl darts from cane. Two main kinds in the U.S. Switch cane is Arundinaria tecta - found in Tallequah, Oklahoma on or near Cherokee land. And Arundinaria gigantea - giant cane found in the southeast. Split in half lengthwise and the joint walls scraped out and then rejoined by gluing and binding makes good blow guns. Heat straighten first. Blow gun darts fletched with thistle down. Containers for black powder, sewing needles, salt, pepper and other spices. Fireworks or grenades by filling with gunpowder and drying clay around stalk. A small hole bored in the end below a joint makes a nice blow pipe for blowing a glowing coal in a tinder nest into flame. With a fore shaft hafted into a long and thick cane makes a usable spear. If big enough in diameter, a half pipe with a small notch on top can be used for a fireboard and a flatter piece with a sharp edge using to saw across the notch for a fire saw to make a friction fire coal. Take inner pith scrapings to make a ball of tinder under the notch to catch the coal. A bunch of different lengths of cane bound together can make a quickie survival bow. Shortest piece for handle area and the longest length for nock to nock limb of the bow. Medium length tied between the two. A pipette to get drinking water but pushing into a moist water hole in the desert (but below surface which doesn't have visible water. A straw shoved into a barrel cactus to extract juice for hydration. Small piece sharpened on end and slit to make a calligraphy pen similar to a feather quill pen. Dipping end of section of cane into pigment for painting - round solid dots or circles depending on open tube or solid joint area. Split and soaked pieces for weaving mats. Huts and other shelters like wickiups with large, long pieces. Green shoots edible. Freshly split tubes sharp enough to cut with.

Latest posts

Back