• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle or military musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m trying to decide on my next muzzleloader, I’m currently working on building a rifle, but the arthritis in my hands limit to how much( or should I say how little) I can work on it. With that said I’m thought about getting a Kibler colonial rifle but then I think how long will it take me to finish it with the arthritis limiting me, so I’m considering a military musket, a civilian fowler, or even having a rifle built for me.

These are in no particular order

The muskets I’m considering are
Pedersoli Brown Bess,
Pedersoli 1766 Charleville,
Pedersoli 1816 (either flint or percussion)
1842 Springfield.

Rifles I’m considering are,
Kibler Colonial Rifle
1853 Enfield
Jäger rifle
Edward Marshall rifle
Early Lancaster rifle

I don’t reenact but I may consider getting into to it, I have a soft spot for military muskets, but I would prefer a reproduction (as long as it’s an accurate clone of an original), so I don’t feel bad about shooting it and dragging it through the woods

Last edited:
I don't know about the other Pedersoli muskets, but their Bess isn't a particularly close clone of an original, or at least not of a standard one. There's speculation it may have been cloned from a commercial or other non-standard historical example, but who knows? It was close enough for my tastes, but it might not be for an historical stickler. Other than that, mine has been excellent in terms of quality and reliability.

I’m trying to decide on my next muzzleloader, I’m currently working on building a rifle, but the arthritis in my hands limit to how much( or should I say how little) I can work on it. With that said I’m thought about getting a Kibler colonial rifle but then I think how long will it take me to finish it with the arthritis limiting me, so I’m considering a military musket, a civilian fowler, or even having a rifle built for me.

These are in no particular order

The muskets I’m considering are
Pedersoli Brown Bess,
Pedersoli 1766 Charleville,
Pedersoli 1816 (either flint or percussion)
1842 Springfield.

Rifles I’m considering are,
Kibler Colonial Rifle
1853 Enfield
Jäger rifle
Edward Marshall rifle
Early Lancaster rifle

I don’t reenact but I may consider getting into to it, I have a soft spot for military muskets, but I would prefer a reproduction (as long as it’s an accurate clone of an original), so I don’t feel bad about shooting it and dragging it through the woods

The Muskets and the 1853 Enfield MIGHT be a problem for arthritic hands because of the naturally HEAVY trigger pulls. Not a problem if you can do your own locksmithing/trigger work, but it does take a while to learn how and do it correctly so it is safe and it lasts.

Gus

The Muskets and the 1853 Enfield MIGHT be a problem for arthritic hands because of the naturally HEAVY trigger pulls. Not a problem if you can do your own locksmithing/trigger work, but it does take a while to learn how and do it correctly so it is safe and it lasts.

Gus

I was wondering about that since I’ve heard several mention the heavy trigger pulls on military muskets. I’m leaning towards a fowler and really like the New England fowler and the English fowler from Chambers but would need to find someone to build it or build something similar for me. Any recommendations on builders?

The following are my personal opinions and observations:

Well first, as to muskets, the Pedersoli Bess is a good, not great, copy of a Short Land Pattern King's Musket. It has the advantage of normally good wood to metal fit. The ramrod is metal so you're never going to break it although sometimes the tip gets loose (reenactors encounter this loosening, most recreational users do not). It has a large lock so it's easy for a person with troubled hands to prime the lock. Same is true for other tools used on the lock...everything is big so no worries about applying leverage. The Pedersoli Bess also comes with sling swivels installed, so you can use a sling and carry it over your shoulder.

Drawbacks are Pedersoli is offering the Bess now with an odd stock finish... almost like a plastic coating. The barrel is rather long with a 42" barrel, but you can get a shorter version if you wish (it's a fantasy musket, not based on any actual model so avoid if reenacting). It does have a good main spring, but the Pedersoli Bess isn't that hard to cock. The trigger pull isn't great, but a lot of people use the Bess out to 50 yards on deer, and a one ounce ball will HAMMER a deer. They do, however cost around $1200, and I think that overpriced for what you get. This will work for reenacting if you get into that.

The Charleville is out-of-the-question. They have a notoriously hard main spring to cock. I've seen 30 year old men struggle with it. Further the front sight is on the forward barrel band and not the barrel; not good for accuracy.

As for the India origin muskets, the wood is about 3 lbs. heavier, the springs are heavy, and the barrel is 46" long. They are OK copies of the guns they represent, but the weight and your challenges puts then out of the picture.

So now rifles...,
Nothing wrong with a Pedersoli Jaeger. It is short, which is handy in the woods. It comes ready for a sling so it can also go over your shoulder. It's a .54 AND it comes in caplock if you opt for that instead of flint. The flint lock is large enough for easy priming. It does have a 1:24 twist rate, which is actually fine for round ball with a good load, but it is also reported to be very good with conical bullets. While the shortness is liked by some in the woods, some don't like it when standing to load, and so load it by taking a knee. If getting up and down is a concern, this could be a problem. Pedersoli wooden rammers suck, and need to be replace with better wood, and the front sight post is waaaay too thick, and needs to be replaced with at thin blade to get the full potential out of the barrel.

The Pedersoli Frontier is a quasi-correct longrifle. You don't be turned away from a reenactment and it has a large lock, and double triggers. Like above, you will need an after-market rammer, and a better front sight post. They are usually quite affordable, and the .54 version has a 1:65 twist rate. They also come in caplock.

There's nothing wrong with a Kibler rifle, and you can get them as a kit or finished in-the-white, with very little woodworking needed. Excellent components and excellent value retained. I do believe that Kibler offers finished rifles too. No idea how long one needs to wait...

There is also Cabin Creek Muzzleloading, which offers a very simple, Pennsylvania Mountain Rifle in .54 with a 38" swamped barrel and a single trigger. Mine is great, and you would have a good time with such a rifle.

LD

I should add that my hands aren’t crippled yet but using chisels, filing, and holding little parts hurt my hands after awhile. Cocking and priming the Davis lock on my current build doesn’t seems to hurt my hands, at least not yet.

Taking things into consideration I’m really considering having a fowler from Chambers built or attempting a Kibler kit, either by myself and just going slow or having someone finish it.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back