• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New and looking to get right into it

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartyHaag1206

32 Cal
Reaction score
New the forum joined about a week ago. I must admit my use of muzzleloaders is limited. Growing up hunting here on the farm my grandfather gave me a "homemade" rifle which was a stock and rear end of an 1884 Springfield with a .45 caliber Numrich Arms barrel and springfield muzzleloader caplock off an older Navy Arms rifle. Quite the hodge podge but she always did the trick. I have always been wanting a proper from the ground up muzzleloader and in a larger caliber than .45 cal. I have also been mezmerized by the flintlock rifles. Watching movies like Patriot, Last of the Mohicans, Drums Along the Mohawk, April Morning and Revolution really made an impression. I also like Cap lock rifles but only the Civil War military ones I dont like Halfstocks, Hawkens or Cap Lock longrifles. 1841 Mississipi, 1853 Enfield and 1861 Springfield come to mind. That being said anyone got any good suggestions for a quality flintlock in .54 caliber and up and a quality percussion military arm in .54 caliber and up ? Price is no issue and kits can be suggested though I have never put one together. Also which one would be better for deer hunting ? Flintlock or Percussion Military arm ? Also I will be wanting a rifle as I know if I have a smooth musket I will send a bullet 12 miles in the wrong direction. Thanks for all help.

Reproduction 1863 Remington "Zouave" rifles are very nice.

.58 caliber. Close in size and style to the '41 Miss.

425-475 bucks on Gunbroker.

The Antonio Zoli's in my opinion are the best ones out there. Mid 1960's are the cat's meow.

The problem with a Woods Runner by Kibler is you will have a rifle that will fulfill all your needs for a flintlock for a couple of generations. You’ll miss out on fixing and fiddling that other rifles offer. This I figured out after owning a few lesser rifles. Touch to play the video.
IMG_0365 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

New the forum joined about a week ago. I must admit my use of muzzleloaders is limited. Growing up hunting here on the farm my grandfather gave me a "homemade" rifle which was a stock and rear end of an 1884 Springfield with a .45 caliber Numrich Arms barrel and springfield muzzleloader caplock off an older Navy Arms rifle. Quite the hodge podge but she always did the trick. I have always been wanting a proper from the ground up muzzleloader and in a larger caliber than .45 cal. I have also been mezmerized by the flintlock rifles. Watching movies like Patriot, Last of the Mohicans, Drums Along the Mohawk, April Morning and Revolution really made an impression. I also like Cap lock rifles but only the Civil War military ones I dont like Halfstocks, Hawkens or Cap Lock longrifles. 1841 Mississipi, 1853 Enfield and 1861 Springfield come to mind. That being said anyone got any good suggestions for a quality flintlock in .54 caliber and up and a quality percussion military arm in .54 caliber and up ? Price is no issue and kits can be suggested though I have never put one together. Also which one would be better for deer hunting ? Flintlock or Percussion Military arm ? Also I will be wanting a rifle as I know if I have a smooth musket I will send a bullet 12 miles in the wrong direction. Thanks for all help.
For quality military arms, the early Parker Hale Enfields, two band or three band, would be at the top of my list.

For an initial flintlock rifle, I agree on the Kibler Woodsrunner kit in 54 caliber.

The best of both worlds would be an 1803 Harper's Ferry built from a Rifle Shoppe kit. It's a flintlock 54 caliber military rifle although it is a half stock.

What would be best for deer hunting? I can't give an answer for that. The best hunting rifle, flint or percussion, is the rifle that handles best for you and delivers excellent on target accuracy with hunting loads.

I have put together a Kibler SMR, I had built several scratch build guns prior and thought the Kibler was incredibly easy to finish, BUT I bought the kit second hand from a guy who realized he didn't have the skills to put it together. The Kibler SMR and the Colonial are easy for most but do require some gun building ability to complete, someone with not much more crafty experience beyond a screwdriver and a hammer would have trouble with one of these kits.

The Woods Runner is a different animal, I looked one over at the Alabama Kentucky rifle show. This kit comes out of the box with almost everything done and done very precisely. I would rate it easier to complete than a TC, CVA or Traditions kit. The parts on one of these kits are second to none as well.

Well, I like the larger bores for hunting, .54 and .58 is what I like using. .45 and .50s work great, absolutely nothing wrong with them, I just prefer the others. Guess it would come down to personal preference. Far as buying, there are numerous offerings for sale on this forum in the classifieds that would fill both of your wishes, just become a supporter and shop away.

Back