• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Richards London sxs percussion *wall hanger*

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mertoi

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello folks, unfortunately the 16g sxs I picked up a few weeks ago is not a viable hunting or shooting arm. It seems age has caught up with it and the barrels are not usable. Bore scoping showed cracks forming around halfway down the barrels. Also discovered a live charge in one! I managed to remove the charge from who knows when, as it seems this shotgun was made in 1841. Overall it is an awesome looking piece, but would best serve hung up on the wall. Something I'm currently not in the market for (EMT wages are decent, but at this time can't justify owning something I can't put meat on the table with) had fairly heavy rust and corrosion throughout and I managed to clean a decent amount of it off. Had both hammers working properly, but once I went to test it the right hammer started acting up and was only working when the left barrel was cooked. Has really cool components too it and beautifully aged stock. Corrosion took the tip of one barrel and it is missing the ramrod holder at the tip of the forestock (pardon my lack of correct term, still very new to BP) It would look great on a wall, or if you have the means, tuning the hammers and replacing the barrels to make it a fine specimen. I purchased it for $295 plus shipping, but also recognize that it's not what it was claimed to be when I bought it. At this point it would be cool to
recoup some of my loss and ideally would like to get $175 for it, but will entertain any offers/trades. Would be interested in accessories for a flintlock fowler. (Shot, pan primer, shot measure, things like that)

Attachments

• 20230502_135608.jpg
    20230502_135608.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 20230502_135553.jpg
    20230502_135553.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230502_135549.jpg
    20230502_135549.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230502_135534.jpg
    20230502_135534.jpg
  • 20230502_135521.jpg
    20230502_135521.jpg
  • 20230502_135505.jpg
    20230502_135505.jpg
  • 20230502_135459.jpg
    20230502_135459.jpg
Not sure what happened to the thread, but bumping this and including username in a picture. Would be willing to do $175 shipped or partial trade for various goodies.

Attachments

• 20230602_123205.jpg
    20230602_123205.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
This would be a good candidate for a "Confederate Cavalry Shotgun" homage-build, for whoever winds up with it.

Can the cracks be seen from the outside? And how far down you think it is. Are the nipples clear and can they be removed.
Thanks

Can the cracks be seen from the outside? And how far down you think it is. Are the nipples clear and can they be removed.
Thanks
Cracks are not visible from the outside, and they start around the halfway point back to the base of the barrels. I plan on getting bore scope and checking it out again after j clean it better (need to track down the right size bore brush) the nipples are clear, but the caps don't always go off the first go. They are a bit mangled and no amount of pb blaster and heat was working to get them out.

Cracks are not visible from the outside, and they start around the halfway point back to the base of the barrels. I plan on getting bore scope and checking it out again after j clean it better (need to track down the right size bore brush) the nipples are clear, but the caps don't always go off the first go. They are a bit mangled and no amount of pb blaster and heat was working to get them out.
Ok, I sent you a message

Same here, but fair warning the cracks do go down to the base of the barrels (stock end) but that was also before I could get it cleaned properly. Most likely would need new barrels or sleeve inserts installed. And hammers need attention as well as the nipples. Since getting this I picked up a so called flintlock canoe gun instead of repairing this one.

Latest posts

Back