• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Reworking My Royal Navy Sea Service Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello - I joined the forum a few months ago after buying a replica Royal Navy Sea Service pistol. Since then I've done a lot of work on it to try to improve some things about it. Many members of this forum have been very helpful to me in this effort. And I really needed the help, since I've never owned a muzzleloading firearm before.

I'm posting this because I figured it might be helpful to other newbies who might want to buy either this pistol or some other pistol. Anyway, here it is.

The document is the PDF file below, and it's nearly 30 pages long. Just click on the icon if you want to look at it.

If anyone has any corrections, or especially if anything I've said about specific companies needs to be corrected or deleted, please let me know - Doug

Attachments

• Reworking my Royal Navy Sea Service Pistol v08.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
nice write up on this project.

only thing I would add is........

I used renaissance wax for a final stock finish on my 9" sea service pistol after true oil. I used black varithane......quickly wiped it then "colonial" something for stain.

some ballistol on the stock too many moons later.

20240219_180927.jpg

camo

Thanks, Camo. What is the little case with the "coin" in it? It makes me wonder if that might be an original pistol, rather than a replica.
lol not an original pistol.....came from access heritage as well. indie pistols pretty nice if youre willing able to put a little work in. price is great if you dont mind tinkering..........but the coin in the box is a Dutch East India trading Compnay coin dated 1786. should be in the ballpark time period for the pistol.

camo

Last edited:
lol not an original pistol.....came from access heritage as well. indie pistols pretty nice if youre willing able to put a little work in. price is great if you dont mind tinkering..........but the coin in the box is a Dutch East India trading Compnay coin dated 1786. should be in the ballpark time period for the pistol.

camo
and this is what it looked like with a ton of citrus strip on it. I wore kitchen gloves almost up to my elbows!!!! about 3 coats and wipes got rid of the unsightly laquer.

20240217_131231.jpg

was a good idea to use a disposable baking tin for this !!!! no mess cleanup!!!

camo

and this is what it looked like with a ton of citrus strip on it. I wore kitchen gloves almost up to my elbows!!!! about 3 coats and wipes got rid of the unsightly laquer.

View attachment 318244
was a good idea to use a disposable baking tin for this !!!! no mess cleanup!!!

camo

afterwards I filed and sanded the imperfections near the skull crusher.

camo

Back