• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

WANTED Renegade breech plug or trashed barrel to salvage one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The title covers it well. I have a usable barrel that someone 'decommissioned by drilling a hole into the ignition area just in front of the nipple (Heaven knows why?) If someone has a junker barrel or a salvaged breech plug?

All TCs have a hole drilled on the side of the breech plug, it comes out the other side as well but is plugged so you can't see it. Did someone drill another hole?

I goofed up while drilling for a white lightning liner and drilled all the way through the barrel with my pilot drill, I tapped the outlet hole (11/32) and screwed in a plug with red lock tight on it. The late Zonie here did the math and said my plug was 10 times stronger than any pressure that generated in the barrel.

Perhaps you could tap the bad hole and plug it.

Last edited:
How big is the hole? I have seen were shooters have drilled a small hole in the cleanout screw at the end of the drum, and I have seen holes drill into the drum just ahead of the nipple. This is done to allow back pressure to blow debris and clear the powder channel. Very similar to what a vent on a flintlock does. If it is a large hole then do what Eric recommends. steg49

The idea that it might have been an intentional vent is interesting due to the angle. There is s divot below the front face that looks like a prior attempt to get into the ignition chamber. I was actually thinking of tapping it as small as possible and putting a set screw in and soldering over the repair but if it is harmless? What are your thoughts. By the way, the scab on the barrel is ugly but the bore is actually pretty good

Attachments

• IMG_5109.JPG
    IMG_5109.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5110.JPG
    IMG_5110.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
Tap and set the screw in place with some JB weld on the set screw while insuring none gets into the flash channel. You can then file it flush. Just make sure your small as possible gives you enough threads to engage and hold the set screw.

Red loctite works also, but do remember that to loosen loctite you apply heat, the very thing that the breech experiences.

Yes, looks like a vent hole to me, haven't seen one drill in the breech plug like that. Over time the heat of the powder venting will erode the metal so might be good to drill and tap for an 8X32 Allen Head screw. take it out every tine your done shooting and clean the threads so no rust will develop. Does the same thing as a hot shot nipple, and the Thompson Centers have a threaded plug in the breech. good Luck steg49

Yes, looks like a vent hole to me, haven't seen one drill in the breech plug like that. Over time the heat of the powder venting will erode the metal so might be good to drill and tap for an 8X32 Allen Head screw. take it out every tine your done shooting and clean the threads so no rust will develop. Does the same thing as a hot shot nipple, and the Thompson Centers have a threaded plug in the breech. good Luck steg49
???????????????? You need to explain that post.

Never seen anything like that in my time.

I posted yesterday that some shooters (not me) have drilled a vent in the drum cleanout screw or drilled a hole just in front of the nipple in the drum. It acts similar to a hot shot nipple that has a hole drilled into the side of the head of the nipple. Also helps with hammer kickback. I'm not recommending this, but a better place for the hole on this barrel would have been in the cleanout screw. Over 45 years of muzzleloading you see lots of interesting stuff! steg49

Wow. Never heard of nor seen that before.

Thanks for the explanation

Looked it up. Learned something today, not that I will be doing it. Thanks

Dixie Gun Works used to and likely still does in the technical section of their catalogs discusses install the vents. I have seen the vent holes on original guns (all shotguns I believe) and a even fixed a couple of butchered attempts made by shade tree gunsmiths.

I would plug the hole with the smallest set screw available that works for the current drilled hole. Make sure the set screw doesn’t protrude in the fire channel.

And nothing wrong with using Loctite, the blue (243) and red (263) are rated to 360°F (182°C), a temperature you are not likely to see on a traditional muzzleloader barrel.

Thank you for the links. I have a machine shop out back and I will pin the hole for the best size and tap accordingly but seeing that the hole was probably meant as a vent, I will have to , just out of curiosity, run a few light loads through it. It seems that the main problem was that the cap would not open up for removal?

Latest posts

Back