• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

remington or colt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was watching the show "Hogs gone wild" and the "Expert" hog guy had 3 pigs cornered. The man natality took care of the big male first, and when the male let out a scream or three the female and the smaller male attacked. That might be a good reason for fast follow up shots. Also who wants to sit in a tree and wait for them to leave?

Zonie said:
The idea that anyone would empty the 5 shots in a cap and ball revolver into a hog and then worry about reloading as fast as possible is, in my opinion, pretty silly.
Whole heartedly agree, Zonie. Pointability is the key to the code for EastTexas. With the way he sounds like he's lookin' to roll, I seriously doubt there'd even be enough time to empty one cylinder, let alone swap in a new one!

What's important is him having a good chance of hitting what he's pointing at (again, there will be no aiming involved).

While sitting in the tree, there is plenty of time to reload even the most cumbersome pistol.

Hell, you could sit there and get off 20+ shots and even take the time to wipe the fouling off of the face of the cylinder so it will keep on turning easily. :rotf:

Capper is right tho. My remmie is so bag at getting stuck that the only thing I could do with my spare cylinders is throw them at the hogs, but my gun is worse than most. :( :(

I KNOW Pete's right! My pin gets stuck to where I need the wooden block and a hammer to get it started........Clint makes it look SO EASY in the movies! :haha: :rotf: :idunno: :shocked2: :)

lets not fergit that these pines have no lower branches! but itll sure be a sight to see if it becomes necessary for this old ,fat pack a day,wheezin geezer has to get up one! hope yer not sore about the top knot crack! :haha:

Zonie said:
To All:

As I read thru the comments in this Topic I'm wondering why all of the discussion about how fast a person can replace the cylinder is needed?

east texas is looking for advice on a recommended pistol to carry as a back up sidearm out in the woods. He is not asking which gun would be the best for a shoot out with the law or bad guys.

You mean we're going to answer his question and not beat him to death with irrelevant facts? :dead:

Then I'm back to my recommendation from a few pages ago: Dragoon or ROA, then Remington. Just because I want a hole all the way through a hog if I shoot one.

"...hope yer not sore about the top knot crack!"
----------------------
Not a bit. Folks have said a lot worse about me and they weren't smiling when they said it. :)

Stophel.
I've got 5 shooters and 6 shooters but my 6 shooters only get to have 6 loaded rounds when I'm at a shooting range.

I don't trust Colts little "safety pins" nor Remingtons cylinder notches so if I'm going to holster my C&B revolver to carry it, my 6 shooters only get 5 loaded chambers. The hammer rests on the 1 unloaded chamber.
That's the way my dad taught me to do it and as he lived to the ripe old age of 95 I figure he must have known something. :)

Well, OK, since Capper's Rules are in effect here, let's change course a bit and vote on a projectile for east texas in his hog-slayer;
I say big .44 with a conical bullet...simply because of the added knockdown power. What say you?

I load 200 grn .451 conicals at home on my stand, then shoot east to load balls at the range. If I were in hog country that is how I would load. They are not hard to load in my remmi.

awrite youse guys splain sumpin to me.how can we discuss conicals in trad,revolvers but its a no no to discuss the sabots in perc rifles :hmm: by the way i would rather be beat with knowledge and experience than with b.s. and stupidity! this forum is definately doing its job even if it strays a bit from time to time! i enjoy all the input! since i found this site the page stays up! reading the other parts of this forum its obvious theres a wealth of knowledge and more than a little humor.

Back