• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington or CCI #11 caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luieb45

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I am wondering what everybody thinks is the better percussion cap, Remington or CCI?

I prefer Remington. I have been using them for several years and NEVER had one fail.

I have 1,000 CCI's that I picked up to use on my C&B revolver. I've already had 3 or 4 fail. Not a good first impression.

HD

I have used Remingtons, CCI, and those lovely german ones with a name I can't pronounce. Remingtons seem to be the caps of choice for myself.....But I rentcent came into a cache of Richland Arms Co. (Blissfield Mich. made in Italy)caps I bought all the store had these buggers are who knows how old and fire first time every time. I got them at the bargain price of 2.99 a tin well actually plastic. (do you call them a tin if they are in a plastic one??)

I use both, but if I had to pick only one, it would be Remington. I find them more reliable (read NEVER fails to fire), and in some of my pistols they are the only kind that will go off reliabily. Having said that, my rifles will shoot CCI's, but some of the rifles with a patent breech sometimes needs magniums in order for the gun to fire reliably. I do win CCI's in matches locally, so gotta use them somewhere. :thumbsup:

Hope this helps, see ya, JIM/OH :hatsoff:

I have used CCI for years. But last year I tried the Remi's. My groups shrank a little. I always thought a cap was a cap, but Remington for me now.

Well I use CCI #11 and #11 mag and remingtons and the german ones. I have found that they all can have miss fires and that they can all fire. I have also found that different rifles like different caps depending on the powder I am using. I have found that the #11 mag caps work better with pyrodex and 777 and that sometimes they work better with real black. Sometimes the standard caps work and sometimes it is a remington cap that works best. I live in the desert so that might be some of reasons but don't think so just the powder and the rifle like different things.

I have had the best luck with the german rws caps. Second choice would be remington. I like the cci the least.

I've never had any problem with CCI on my revolvers but have with my cap-locks. failure to ignite the powder several times but this may not all be the fault of the cap. Rem I've never had a problem with but have used only 200 or so whereas CCI's I've fired thousands of 'em.

I use the ones that fit best.

CCI No. 11 and Remington No. 11 are not the same size, so they're not interchangeable. Same thing goes for the No. 10's.

If a Remington No. 11 fits best, it's what I use, regardless of performance, because the CCI No. 10 or No. 11 won't fit. Etc.

And the RSW No. 1075 isn't the same size as any of the others, either.

But as for performance, I've noticed no significant difference.

You'll get a lot of replies on both sides of this. For me, CCI never worked well, with the occasional misfire, etc. Remington has been flawless and is what I use. I've seen others who have had the exact opposite experience though, so I think a lot of it might have to do with climate or differences between guns or something.

I prefer RWS. I've used CCI and remington with only minor complaints. I have also had Navy Arms, CVA, a few others, and Mattel. Mattel you ask? Yep. Those red plastic caps for toy pistols. I have used them on a muzzleloader and they even worked. But the nipple must have a flat somewhat mashed down top. Otherwise the hammer just pushes the plastic down and cuts it on the nipple. The old hard brass cup CVA caps were the worst. Especially on my Ruger. It would take 2 or 3 hammer falls before they went off and then I had to use a scraper to get them off the nipples.

Where can I get Remington caps by the 1000 online. Seem all I can find are RWS (which dont work on my guns) or CCI mags. By the way, are there any negatives to the CCI magnums, assuming they fit my Lyman nipples.

I use both and havent had one or the other fail yet. I also see no difference in accuracy.

Latest posts

Back