• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Remington 1858 powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No. I'm not aware of anyone in match shoots that use a substitute. No doubt someone does, but I don't think it's common.

I don't attend any shoots so all I know is what I read about.

For .44:

.454 cast or swaged RB, eve if mfr recommends .451.
2F Goex. All the chamber will hold and let you seat a 1/8" felt wad so that it does not interfere with the ball centering in the chamber mouth.

Lube is Gatofeo formula, soaked in wad.

Same for .36, kust sub a ball diameter that will leave a ring of lead.

This recipe will shoot well in any gun i own except one ASM 2nd model Dragoon. It is easy to load in the field, and fouling stays soft.

My ROA's will cut one hole with this at 25 yards. You have to back out to 50 yards to get meaningful variations in group size.

for my '58 I use a .38spcl case full of 3f for 'plinking' load, .357 mag case full for general purpose load and a X39 case full (all the chamber will hold with a Lee mold conical atop) for hunting.

Let me get this right, you shoot official competitions for BP arms using substitutes? And pelletised at that? :hmm:

Must be a 'mercan thang.

tac

Rodwha, I have an original '58 Remington with a very good bore. It has 5 lands and grooves and gain twist rifling. Looking down the bore from the muzzle, picture rifling starting ALMOST straight at the breech end and ending at the muzzle at the 8 o'clock position. So yes a slow twist.

This gun is capable of 1 3/8 inch groups at 25 yards. IF I DO MY PART!! This is out of the same chamber of a modern cylinder. I do not shoot the orig cylinder nor do I shoot this gun very often. The above group is from the last time I shot this gun 3 or 4 years ago.

Dryball

Back