• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Relief carving tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I’m looking for a basic list of tools needed/helpful for doing some relief/incise carving on a rifle build. Exact tools and sizes would help A LOT! I know I’ll need chisels, gouges and scrapers, but I am utterly clueless on what types and sizes I’ll need!

Go to the Woodcraft website. Look up the Pfeil chisels and gouges. Buy all of them. Ok, not very realistic. There is no specific answer to the question. Every design is going to require a different set of tools. You get the best results by using the largest tools possible. But the smaller tools are much more versatile. Your method and style of carving will have a a huge effect on the tools that you need. Watch some internet videos of carving and pay attention to the tools used. Buy a couple chisels every payday and eventually you will have a good set. Start with the smaller sizes. The skew chisels get used a lot. A good set of rifflers is also very helpful.

,,You get the best results by using the largest tools possible,,.
,,But the smaller tools are much more versatile.,
,,Buy a couple chisels every payday,,
,,Start with the smaller sizes.,
,,The skew chisels get used a lot.,,
,,A good set of rifflers is also very helpful.
Sage advise.
Watch some internet videos of carving and pay attention to the tools used.
but that's the best,,

You could order the Jack Brooks carving DVD. He does "stabbed" carving...using the appropriate size and sweep gouge for the radius he wants to cut in. His method requires more tools than say using a V gouge to cut in the outline. He lists every size and sweep # of the tools he uses at the end of the dvd so it's very helpful in narrowing down what tools you'll need if you want to use his method.

Learning to carve seems to be different for everyone. I can think of 4 very good makers right now and all 4 use different methods and tools for carving. the advice from billraby is good. Watch as much as you can and buy a few tools to get started. Eventually you'll find what works best for you. I think we all wind up with more chisels than we need.

Go to amazon and look up carving tools you can see every type and size available to get a good idea

For some of my relief carving, an Exacto knife is used w/ the blade tip having a small radius....it seems the tips break off as purchased. It's used for outlining in lieu of a "V" chisel. Of course some have said my relief carving is different than most,.....Fred
FLSCheek.jpg

I do most of my raised carving using a V tool to outline, then relieve back using small chisels and shop made carving knives and scrapers. As said, you can talk with 4 different builders and get 4 different methods of achieving the same end. For me, I like using a V tool as it sets me up for incised carving and engraving as well because the techniques used are similar. I primarily use a Pfiel 16-1 parting tool (I have 3 of them). Just be mindful that this method (any of them actually) does take much practice as there is a learning curve, and you will need to know how to re-sharpen them as well. Sharpening a V tool can be a challenge and depending on the wood will need to be done often.

Back