• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

REGARDING 1862 5-SHOT POLICE MODELS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pietta doent make a pocket police that's any comparison to the uberti. It's supposed to be a 5 shot, literally the 31cal gun with a rebated cylinder for the larger 36cal projectiles...I even put the cap groove in mine. And got rid of the uberti shine on the grip

Attachments

• 20230304_233859.jpg
    20230304_233859.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230511_214220.jpg
    20230511_214220.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Love mine but it’s a BIG cap sucker even with Slixshots, action cover, smoothing out the hammer face and honing the sharp edges.
I will be installing a cap rake to remedy the cap sucking problem for good.
It’s a very accurate and sleek pistol, elegant and well balanced.

That is a mis listed 1862 Police. An older gun made for the now defunct Western Arms. would want to see the bore and cylinder condition as it looks like it has had some abuse.
Here is the pictures the gentleman sent me. The bore seems to have some gouging. And two safety pins is bogered. Plus the FC looks like it has been gone at with a screw driver. What do ya'll see?
attachment-1.jpeg
attachment-3.jpeg
attachment-2.jpeg
attachment-4.jpeg

Last edited:
The 1862 Police has always been one of my favorites appearance wise. I am a Civil War collector and have war dated and martially marked Colts and a Remington, but a couple years ago I stepped a little outside my personal criteria and bought a 1862 Police I knew from the serial number was manufactured in 1867, simply because I have long wanted that model. I ordered an Uberti replica and put them both in the same display case. I have yet to shoot the Uberti but plan to. Before I bought my first black powder replica in December 1980 I bought a copy of the 1980 Gun Digest, in which Rick Hacker reviewed different cap and ball revolvers he tried out. His conclusion as to the one he preferred was the 1862 Police. I guess my mind was already made up because I opted for the Remington NMA. I still have that Gun Digest and every so often read that article again.

You know that feeling you get when you have placed your sights on a Target, and then a dozen other squirrels pop their heads out?
Well there is 4 Second gen 1862 around $600.00
2 Uberti1862's and about 2 or 3 odd balls one on GB.

And theN there is DGW and Taylor.
With the closest match to my target being a 5.5" Uberti for $435 on DGW.

All this is just my way of exorcising my demons.
I WILL KEEP YOU POSTED.

I have read tons of comments on owning an 1862 Police. Overwhelmingly most owners start out wanting this sleek looking model. But have issues after owning. I am kinda a Uberti fan-boy ,but not married to them. The issues that I see that plague most is cap jams. Also the price of these seem Higher than a Navy or Army. ?? Taylors is over $500.00 to the door.How about waiting for one to pot up 4-sale on ML?What are the comments from the ML gallery.
I bought mine with a 6.5 inch barrel used and it was ill fit up from the factory needing some ratchet filing to function on all chambers.
I fit a second cylinder to it and that also needed some ratchet filing along with some nipple well reduction clearance on two of the cylinders. I think the geometry of five chambers on a ratchet star works less smoothly than does a six chamber gun. Apparently a pentagon shape in rotation is not as easily made operationally smooth as a hexagon in rotation.

Back