• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

REGARDING 1862 5-SHOT POLICE MODELS?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have read tons of comments on owning an 1862 Police. Overwhelmingly most owners start out wanting this sleek looking model. But have issues after owning. I am kinda a Uberti fan-boy ,but not married to them. The issues that I see that plague most is cap jams. Also the price of these seem Higher than a Navy or Army. ?? Taylors is over $500.00 to the door.How about waiting for one to pot up 4-sale on ML?What are the comments from the ML gallery.

Last edited:
Or you get some slix-shot nipples.
Ditto that. Partial remedy for cap jams. Also investigate Mike Belliveau's YouTube channel for tips on cleaning up the hammer face so it doesn't pick up spent caps. Cap jams can be dealt with. Don't take it as a reason for not getting the gun you want.

Next in line for me is going to be an 1862 Police model, with the 4.5" barrel. It's got a very similar size and weight of the 1849 pocket model, but in 36 caliber. The best of both worlds for a small revolver.

And yeah, they seem to not be very available at the moment (at least the 4.5" barrel models) without paying more $ than other similar guns

Last edited:
My 62 Uberti Police 5.5in. has the full Goons mods treatment. Load it, cap it,shoot it 6 full cylinders...No issues... Only have to clean the bore, cylinder and outside as the grease fill and hammer plate keeps the fouling from getting in the action. I would have Goon service my NMLRA match Revolvers if they changed the rules to allow those mods but that's not happening...

Mine took a lot of work - new arbor to fix the loose one, shim the barrel to correct the length, polish and tune the action, aftermarket nipples, new front sight, open the chambers to the correct size, and more I don't remember. But it works great now and I really like it. Small and powerful, and fits in my pocket. But not usable out of the box.

My 62 Uberti Police 5.5in. has the full Goons mods treatment. Load it, cap it,shoot it 6 full cylinders...No issues... Only have to clean the bore, cylinder and outside as the grease fill and hammer plate keeps the fouling from getting in the action. I would have Goon service my NMLRA match Revolvers if they changed the rules to allow those mods but that's not happening...

Thank you sir!! Glad it's working like it's supposed to!!
Mike

I just picked up a Colt 2nd Gen 1862 and it will be going for Goonerization asap. It’s nicely done but can definitely use Goons tender touch.

Attachments

• IMG_2230.jpeg
    IMG_2230.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
I did find a

Pietta 1862 Pocket Sheriff for $380.00 on Midway yesterday. That is a $100.00 off the Uberti 1862/5 shot replica at Taylor.​

And the Pietta is a 6 shot. Not really a replica.
Decisions Decisions!
I think that is actually a full size. Like an1851 or 1861 with a short barrel. Wait for a 1849 or a 1862 .

Latest posts

Back