• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refreshing shotgun bores

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Rickard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to clean up a rough, rusty muzzleloader 12ga. shotgun bore on an original 1860 style fowler. How do I go about it?

start out with some oo steel wool and some good gun oil and give the Barrels about 50 good even strokes apiece change out steel wool and repeat starting with the other barrel. do this 5 or 6 times then run a few oiled cleaning patches in to clean out the rusty mess, then start over with the steel wool) repeat this untill the barrels feel smooth and the patches come out fairly clean.( on the old guns it's almost imposable to get them perfect)

get a 3M handpad, medium grit - wrap a strip of it around a cleaning brush then chuck the end of the rod in a hand drill. use some light oil on the brush and work it back and forth in the bore while spinning the rod with the drill. best put the barrel in a vise or have someone hold it firmly.

I did the same thing a few years ago. I took it to a local gunsmith and he ran a bore hone through it. It was the kind that looks like a big bore brush with round balls on the bristles. He didn't remove any metal, he just honed it until most of the bore started to shine a bit. Alot of rust and corruption fell to the floor! Then I took it home a did my steel wool routine.

Any honing, no matter how done, will remove some metal just as if you were cleaning the exterior with sand paper. To remove pits you have to cut the surface down to the level of the bottom of the pit.

I have done them several ways, but this worked the best. If it is very rusty at all, you can forget steel wool unless you want to be cleaning for the next 3 years.
I took a 4' piece or allthread & sliced the end of it down the middle about 4" then I slip a piece or emery cloth into it & wind the emery areound the rod. Chuck the barrel in a vice & chuck the allthread into a drill & hone the rust out of it.
Now it it is a doublebarrel, DO NOT get the barrel hot or they may unsolder.

Dcp_6520.jpg

Dcp_6522.jpg

Don't reverse the drill, or it will bind & then you do have a issue. Hone it in & out & & when ya get the worst out go to a finer grit.

Then later go to a mop on a rod with some v-fine grinding compound, then finish with Bore Paste.

:thumbsup:

Back