• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refinished TC Hawken Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I finished it up. Thanks to everyone on here that gave me pointers. I removed the originial finish using a citrus stripper. I left in the dents and dings, as they kind of matched what I wanted from this gun and an "antiqued" look. Added a light application of "dark walnut" stain, several coats of tung oil and then finished it off with beeswax paste. To say I'm happy with how it turned out would be an understatement. Above how it looks, the feel of the wood grain in hand is sublime. It totally changed this gun from something ordainary to something special for me.

Here are some before and after photos.
IMG_2236.JPEG
IMG_2237.JPEG
IMG_2239.JPEG
IMG_2280.JPEG
IMG_2281.JPEG
IMG_2282.JPEG
IMG_2283.JPEG

Yes, agreed, that looks great! Oil finished stocks are the best!

If you ever do another one and you have some nice grain lines, to really make them ‘pop’, after staining and then one light oil coat (well dried!), you spray the entire stock with flat black Krylon spray paint. When dry, you buff it off with light Scotch-Brite pads but you leave the black paint in the walnut pores.

It really makes the wood ‘pop’, as shown below! You could not see those grain lines as well without … pretty cool, huh?

BE6D23AF-A178-4AF2-8033-709809471EE5.jpeg

So, I finished it up. Thanks to everyone on here that gave me pointers. I removed the originial finish using a citrus stripper. I left in the dents and dings, as they kind of matched what I wanted from this gun and an "antiqued" look. Added a light application of "dark walnut" stain, several coats of tung oil and then finished it off with beeswax paste. To say I'm happy with how it turned out would be an understatement. Above how it looks, the feel of the wood grain in hand is sublime. It totally changed this gun from something ordainary to something special for me.

Here are some before and after photos.View attachment 200714View attachment 200715View attachment 200716View attachment 200717View attachment 200718View attachment 200719View attachment 200720

Back