• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rebarreling a smoothbore "Baker Rifle"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillCar

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I keep looking at the parts kits from The Rifle Shoppe, wanting so badly to own a Baker rifle. The problem is that I don't have the skill to finish a parts kit like theirs, so I'd have to have it assembled for me. Then I have to have it shipped to Canada. That all makes it more expensive than I've been able to manage for the past three years of wishing for a Baker rifle. Other expenses just keep getting in the way. Just how it goes sometimes, I guess.

So, I'm left wondering what my other options are. I've heard people talk about rebarreling one of the Indian reproductions of the Baker Rifle (the ones that are smoothbore "rifles"). I'd like to know more about this process, what it entails, who could do it for me, or if I should just keep waiting forever for a Baker from The Rifle Shoppe.

Has anyone had this done? What were the results like? I don't care too much about the wood being incorrect (the twist rate in the modern barrels isn't 1:120 anyway, so far as I've seen, so it's already not quite historically accurate). I'd just like something that has the Baker look and a bit of the Baker feel, but that will shoot nicely as well. What I really want is one from The Rifle Shoppe, but to be realistic, it's been 3 years, and I don't see myself getting any closer to dropping $2000 in one go on one gun.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi,
If you see and hold one of the Indian replicas, I'm sure you will hang on to your money.
The Indian replicas are just fine for wall hangers, movie props, and if they were only $99 it would be OK. They're not!
Sadly, you have picked one of the rarest reproduction guns made, keep watching on the gun traders and you will find one.
I have seen Baker rifles on "The Gun Works " site a few times, and the price was fair, compared to a new one.
Good luck
Old Ford

I'd go with the advice of Old Ford. Save up your money. The indian made firearms are questionable at best. Keep looking you'll find what you want in a better quality gun. It may cost a little more but you'll be happier in the end going that route.

There are plenty of competent gun builders who can put together a " Kit" for you. That's an option for you to consider.

As for a rifled barrel, I think you first have to decide are you actually going to use the gun for hunting, or just for Show. Then, and only then, you can think about whether you want something HISTORICALLY accurate, as to Rate of Twist, or do you want a gun that YOU can shoot well enough to take game.

Too often, in the Quest for historical accuracy, shooters handicap themselves with HISTORICALLY INFERIOR DESIGNS( There is a reason that Better designs were made and shot back in the day!) particularly when it comes to SIGHTS, and Rifling ROT.

Then, Stock dimensions are often made to an ORIGINAL LOP, Pitch, and Drop at Comb, and at heel, Only to find out that the gun won't Fit the shooter, and it beats him up when its shot.

The Shooter, having spent all his hard-earned money to buy a replica of some model of gun finds he hates to take it to the range to shoot. So, it ends up in a closet, or on the wall, or gets taken to the club to show to others, and let them shoot it, but the shooter is soon looking to trade the gun for something that really works for him.

Find one of the guns, and hold it, sight down it, check the gun for Fit, and balance, before you go to the trouble of having one made. If you close your eyes, and then mount the gun to your shoulder, when you open your eyes, you should be looking down the barrel- At the least-- if not over the sights. If you are 6 feet or taller, chances are pretty good that the LOP and Drop at comb will be wrong for you. If you have a barrel chest, almost surely the pitch will be wrong.

As short as the barrels were on the Baker Rifle, I doubt that you will find much wrong with the Balance of the gun, but if the rest of the stock dimensions are wrong for you, and the sights are wrong, you will be heard muttering to yourself after you shoot it.

There are all kinds of barrel makers who can make you a replacement barrel for this gun. What I would worry about is the quality of the lock, and the wood used in the stock on those India-made guns. I have yet to hear anyone claim that those gunmakers have a clue how to make a good flintlock. :hmm: :surrender: :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice. I'll look for one on The Gun Works, I suppose.

I'm about 5'10 and 160lbs, so from the sound of things, the Baker might yet fit me alright. I'll have to give it a try!

I saw a TRS baker online sell for under $1000 this last year I can't remember where for the life of me maybe gunboards. They are out there. i wouldn't waste my money on the indian repros but if you did I would have it relined by hoyt, that would be the cheapest way to get a high quality rifled barrel for that rifle.

I suspect at your height, you will be too tall from the gun. Back in the early 1800s, the average man was about 4 inches shorter than you are! The LOP Will be too short for you, as will the pitch.

When I was a kid, Daniel Boone, and Davy Crockett introduced all of us to MLers, and everyone wanted a " Kentucky Rifle", just like the one Fess Parker used. The Generation of kids that grew up with the British series on the "Baker's Rifles" fell in love with the gun and the idea of its greater superiority than the guns of Napoleon.

In the late 70s I met a lot of men in my club who finally got that " Kentucky Rifle" just like the one they saw on TV, down to the last brass tack, and generally, they guns simply were not made to fit them.

One friend was trying to shoot his at the club, and asked me to give it a try. It was the most Front Heavy gun I have ever shot, mainly because it had a straight barrel that was too long( hard for me to believe) but the buttstock was way too short- for him, at 5'9", or for me at 6'+. The Balance point of the gun was way forward of where I would normally hold the forestock. Had the gun been stocked better, and used a swamped barrel, I have no doubt it would have been a much better fit, and would have "held" well for accurate shooting.

the rifeld backerbarrel from Colerain is different in lenght and thickness its shorter and thicker.
There are a few things to play with and imho a rebarreling of a Indianbaker makes no sense because it's just expensive and at the end you will have an rifel indianbaker with no value.

texcl said:
I saw a TRS baker online sell for under $1000 this last year I can't remember where for the life of me maybe gunboards. They are out there. i wouldn't waste my money on the indian repros but if you did I would have it relined by hoyt, that would be the cheapest way to get a high quality rifled barrel for that rifle.

Relining may not take care of the problem, very often the person relining one of the Indian made barrels will also insist on installing a new breachplug as well - re-cut the breach threads and make an altogether new plug and sometimes, for at least one of many reasons, this is not practical.

So you may want an altogether new barrel, right? Most of the replacement barrels with rifling seen on the Indian guns are just that, new made barrels from well known and reliable barrel makers here in the US. The Indian guns are far from interchangeable and the barrels need to be made to fit each stock so they can not make them in advance, each is a custom product so they are pretty expensive.

Back