• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RB vs bullet, accuracy and ballistics

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSC

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As a preface, I don't even own an ML yet, but will be hunting one next season. I'm pretty ballistics clever and have spent time on things between an M4/.223 up to a M82/.50.
The bullet will definitely maintian velocity longer and fly straighter- thats a given. But, the bullet would be slower out of the muzzle so it would have less velocity to start and would be impacted more by gravity. So how much straighter are talking about? Can I overcome the weight difference with a stiffer load and stretch my lethality to a longer distance with a bullet?

What kind of muzzle loader you talking about?

How far can you see with open sights, ethically, cleanly kill an animal?

In my experience, the difference between the two is meaningless inside 100 yards. But the RB loses velocity faster, and as velocity falls so does the accuracy compared to conicals. If I still had the eyes for taking game past 100 and the inclination to do so if I had the eyes, I'd be using a conical for long shots. Just "more" all around. More accuracy, more energy, more penetration. But I'm not shooting past 100, so it's moot. I shoot what I feel like, and especially what the gun wants.

J.D said:
If you want long range accuracy and whomp 'em and stomp 'em terminal energy, larger bores, of 58, 60,or 62 calibers, shooting round balls from a rifle with a wide flat buttplate is the way to go.
So dusting off dad's old '53 3 Band might not be a bad idea for a hunt?

:v Defintely!!! Think of the money you'll save for powder and lead. A .58 Prb or Minie will do the job on any legal game in North America, within reasonable ranges limited by the sights and available light. Have fun!! :v

Over and above ballistic considerations (those are fine), I'd be real inclined to use your dad's rifle. Heritage stuff, ya know. Keep the ball rolling.

That's why I'm making as much of my own stuff as I can these days- horns, loading blocks, powder measures, bags, and guns- I like the thought of passing them along. Unless I'm sadly mistaken, they're going to get used and they'll be treasured a lot more than anything I bought along the way.

KSC said:
So dusting off dad's old '53 3 Band might not be a bad idea for a hunt?

That is an excellent idea, assuming that it is a modern reproduction. Not only do you have a large bore, but the connection with your dad.

Take time to work up a good load, and enjoy that '53.

I might add that if you shoot 58 minis, best accuracy is usually achieved with a minie about .003 under bore diameter. And you don't have to shoot heavy loads with that mini. The original powder charge for CW rifled muskets was about 65 gr FFG, and they were known to be deadly accurate at ranges to 500 yards, in the right hands.

Good luck,
J.D.

J.D said:
The original powder charge for CW rifled muskets was about 65 gr FFG, and they were known to be deadly accurate at ranges to 500 yards, in the right hands.

The British service charge for the .577/58cal Enfield three-band rifled musket/rifle was two and a half drams - that's just about 68gr.

It's not necessary to load the equivalent of 137.5gr of anything to achieve good results.

tac

I am getting to where I shoot the ball better than the conical. It's a lot more fun for me too.

You know, there's something to that. I did some experimenting with heavy charges (120 grains) under heavy conicals (450 grains) in a light, short barreled 54 (6 pounds). Ten rounds through that little sucker made my round balls in any gun nervous for weeks. Seemed like no matter where I pointed them, they hit somewhere else.

Course, it was kinda hard to see the powder measure clear while my nose was bleeding and my eyes were watering, so I can't swear that the later powder charges were only 120 grains. :surrender:

KSC said:
As a preface, I don't even own an ML yet, but will be hunting one next season. I'm pretty ballistics clever and have spent time on things between an M4/.223 up to a M82/.50.
The bullet will definitely maintian velocity longer and fly straighter- thats a given. But, the bullet would be slower out of the muzzle so it would have less velocity to start and would be impacted more by gravity. So how much straighter are talking about? Can I overcome the weight difference with a stiffer load and stretch my lethality to a longer distance with a bullet?

It is very difficult to make a ML using BP into a 200 yard gun without a range finder and a vernier sight and range settings.
The 50-54 RB will kill deer reliably to 150 yards if you can place the ball. Since most hunting is under 100 in most areas its really not a factor.
Elongated slugs in MLs often do not perform as advertised on game and may some do worse than a RB from reports I have received.
Killing power, "knock-down" power and muzzle energy are just something to talk about they have very little to do with killing power in projectiles at BP velocities, the bigger the ball the less reliable the ME figures will be when compared to HV cartridges. Example.
"Knock-down" greatly overused. VERY seldom can one knock down a deer unless a major bone is broken (then they generally get up) or the spine or brain is shocked or struck. Between myself and people I hunt with we have likely killed in excess of 300 head of deer, antelope and elk, vast array of calibers, bullet designs/weights and velocities. If I talk about knocking something down they agree with the statement above.
A HV load, probably 2500 impact velocity, may shock the brain by striking a large blood vessel leading to the head. I have seen deer knocked down with a heart shot on rare occassion and think this might have been the case. I knocked an antelope down once with 270 by striking the arteries and veins in the neck and assume this is what occurred.
I shot a MD doe with a 16 gauge ball last season. 1750 MV. Range 50 yards ball completely destroyed the top 1/2 of the heart. Deer not only did not go down she ran 55 yards. Massive blood loss, visible as she ran. But she did run, not very well but she ran off. The shot was through the deers front and the ball penetrated 29" making a 1" entrance in the hide and ball sized hole in the front of the brisket beside the windpipe. Very heavy hit.
P1020571.jpg

Smaller ball? I once shot a MD buck at 140 paces with a 50rb and he went about 40 yards, lung shot. I have had similar results with lung shots with 38-40, 45-70, 44-90, 40-70, 50 & 54 RB, 54 percussion Sharps with the "issue" bullet (small B. bear ran 40+- yards), 6.5X55 and 30-06 (that I can recall off hand).
So how is the RB deficient? The answer is that it is not when used within its range. But this information will not sell advertising the shooting press.

There are a host of problems that arise in using slugs that are not generally talked about on the modern ML sites/magazines. The "naked" ones are prone for moving off the powder for example. Increased breech pressure is another.
The ML market has been flooded with various bullet designs over the past 35 odd years starting with the Maxi-ball. This started because some shooters did not want to be bothered with patching balls. A good many of them are not as good at killing game as the RB of similar diameter and none are as good as a RB of equal weight.
But if a company has a bullet to sell then the RB has to be deficient or there is no reason for the "new improved" etc product to sell. The fact that the 50-54 RB will shoot through a deer's chest side to side to at LEAST 150 yards can't be true since "the RB does not penetrate well". If it does the bullet is not needed. From the standpoint of the maker and their shills in firearms press the bullet IS needed. It MONEY. Facts be darned.
BTW this discussion has been going on since the 1830s or perhaps before. Generally the slugs have proven unsatisfactory.
Yes, the elongated slug will kill farther than the RB. But how often does the hunter actually use this range?? Seldom.
It is very easy to fall for the advertising of the bullet makers and stuff written by gun writers just remember that magazines will not alienate advertisers and many will lie outright to keep them happy.
Sorry for the rant but the utter BS fed the public concerning the RB vs the "new improved" over the past decades is one of my pet peeves.

The 5.56
and the 50BMG :grin:

I have never seen any 4 footed critters shot with the 50 BMG cartridge but it works well for other purposes. I REALLY like the M2 :bow:

The "223" has its advantages and disadvantages. Would not be my choice for deer though I have used it.

Dan

Don't mince words Dan, tell us what you really think. :haha:

There is more truth about the effectiveness of round balls vs slugs in your post than I have read in months, if not years. :bow:
J.D.

BrownBear said:
You know, there's something to that. I did some experimenting with heavy charges (120 grains) under heavy conicals (450 grains) in a light, short barreled 54 (6 pounds). Ten rounds through that little sucker made my round balls in any gun nervous for weeks. Seemed like no matter where I pointed them, they hit somewhere else.

Course, it was kinda hard to see the powder measure clear while my nose was bleeding and my eyes were watering, so I can't swear that the later powder charges were only 120 grains. :surrender:

Speaking of recoil.[url] http://www.doublegunshop.com/vintage6.htm[/url]

Click on 4 bore ouch!
The 4 bore proper.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
In my youth I put quite a few rounds through a pair of 8-bore doubles, both RBs and conicals. The latter were a good way to test the bedding on your teeth and to flatten an already flattened nose.

I might be conned into shooting a 4-bore with RBs, but this child has matured beyond the need to try a conical. Zowie!

KSC said:

Sometimes the best way to increase your lethality is to get closer and chose the shot carefully. You'll never best a conical with a round ball no matter how you hold the ballistics chart or calculator. That's why traditional muzzleloading is a challenge. If you want .50 BMG performance, carry a .50 BMG rifle. If you want to take the time to get good and maybe stretch out to the extreme of 120 yards under ideal conditions on live game then you're entering round ball ranges.

A round ball is ballistically inferior in every way to a conical. Period. That's why conicals should be relegated to the regular season only and round balls should be required in the "primative" muzzleloading seasons. Also period. Just my humble opinion. You have to play to the weaknesses of the projectile by using other strengths: stalking, stand placement, patience, motivation, etc. Meeting history on it's own terms. Not adapting modern technology to improve on it.

Be a hunter. Not just a shooter. :wink:

My go-to rifle for four-legged problems on the farm is a .223 single shot with a scope. That's for killing, not sport. When something 300 yards away needs attention A.S.A.P. I do not grab my flintlock. But when it comes time for deer-hunting for sport, the centerfires go to rest.

I agree with all said above. After my experiences of the past few years, I'm completely abandoning centerfire hunting- the word killing more describes it. I know I can get within 500 meters of a deer, and I know I can hit vitals at the said range.

As for the 53 Enfield, I have access to one of Dixie's Euroarms models, how does this gun measure up? Is it worth investing some range time in?

As for the .50 BMG, never seen one hit a 4 legged critter but I imagine an API (armor piercing incindiary) would stop a polar bear or elephant dead in its tracks. I'd love to see the wound caused my a .50 at about 3,000 meters when it starts to tumble- keyholed by a .50 YIKES!!!Anything's possible though, I saw I guy hit 13 times with 5.56 from a SAW and made it, others might go down from one. I guess there's no replacement for shot placement.

good report by Dan. I'll add that many an old timer shot a double-ball load when hunting bears. I've experimented with this some the damage on wet phone books is impressive, but it's a close-range load. does good at 25 yds but beyond the balls spread rapidly.
in preparation for an upcoming hog hunt I have been dialing in Lee REAL slugs in my .50 w/good results so far. I have no doubt though that a 2-ball load would whack one real good.

J.D.,
To shoot conicals and heavy loads you need to:
1. Use padding in the shoulder area
2. Learn to mount the rifle properly (it will hurt if you don't)
3. Wear both ear plugs and muffs (so you don't flinch from the noise)
:)

Back