• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Shooting and Resting a Barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, when I am sighting in one of my modern rifles I always wait about 5 minutes between shots to let the barrel cool down. My question is- does cooling the barrel also apply to consistent accuracy in FL/BP rifles? I understand that this could vary by barrel length, powder charge, etc, but how long (if at all) do you generally need to let your FL rifle "rest" between shots when target shooting?

Thanks.

For target shooting pace yourself to consume almost all of the alloted time for a match. e.g. 30 min.; 45 min., whatever. Do allow to cool but, IMHO, it is not as big an issue with most mls as with modern guns that generate a lot more heat. Also bigger barrels on mls absorb more heat before going whacko.
Note: the benchrest and slug gun guys will say I am nustso.

I never let mine cool, and I have shot my .54 Hawken at my bench with the thermometer at 98 degrees in the shade. That day I think I shot about 20 shots, and the barrel was so hot I couldn't touch it. Recording the shot location and velocity and reloading gives a pace to the shooting. But the barrels are so heavy, and there is no thick stock to "warp" against, that I never think about cooling between shots.

Every gun is different. Things like tight barrel pins or poor breech inletting as well as barrel bands will affect the bullet grouping as the barrel warms up. Shoot the gun as fast as reasonable safety allows and see if the group wanders up, down, left, or right. If this is the case than the gun likes to shoot with a cold barrel. If your groups are nice and round, go for it, barrel mounting has no or little effect as it gets hotter.

The more material making up the the barrel the longer it takes to cool. If you are concerned from an accuracy standpoint on letting the barrel settle, on a modern rifle with optics, yes let it settle and cool. Precision shooting at long distance 500+ you will notice a difference. A lot of this has to do with what happens to the barrel when you fire high velocity rounds that are torquing the rifling as they travel down the barrel. There are a few sniper sites that have a complete breakdown and super slow motion video that will give you a better idea. This is why we DOPE everything with the modern stuff and enjoy the traditional stuff so much more.

The only reason I ever worry about heating the barrel is if it causes heat mirages. This normally only happens in my smoothbores because the sights are so much lower than in my rifles.

Many Klatch

For hunting practice I only use cold barrels. Unless you are a real bad shot and the deer is real stupid or deaf, this is generally what you get hunting. I try to avoid heat waves when shooting smoothbores in competition but this ain't easy in the summer.

As someone has already said, each gun is different. At the range, during one of your practice sessions, find out. Try shooting at a normal pace, give the gun a chance to cool down, then try at a faster pace or slower pace. Your gun will tell you if you will listen.

I don't think I can reload a flintlock fast enough to make any difference with the heat issue.lol With a center fire I just shoot three shot groups and let it cool.

Rocky J said:
I don't think I can reload a flintlock fast enough to make any difference with the heat issue.lol With a center fire I just shoot three shot groups and let it cool.

Amen on both counts. A nice liesurely reload that includes a peek through the spotting scope is usually all that's needed to cool off a ML.

If you're really worried you can always take time to search for the patch...or blow down the barrel :grin:

short_start said:
or blow down the barrel :grin:

:rotf:
Canofworms.jpg

My pappy taught me young that blowing on embers was a good way to get them red hot, so I'll not likely be on the news for trying that any time soon tradition or not. Kidding aside, I appreciate all the feedback. I really don't like the wait between shots (kinda like waiting to shoot a foul shot in basketball) and think I have been given the advice I was hoping for that it is not necessary. Just one more advantage to shooting BP!

Back