• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shooter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I took my TC 54cal Renegade out over the weekend to get ready for deer season which starts on Dec. 1st. The weather was fairly cool and I had a decent head wind in my face. I set up at 40yds and I loaded it up with my usual load of 100gr FFG KIK, Dry Wad, and .530 patched roundball. My first shot was a little higher due to the clean barrel but I was pleased to see my next 3 shots cloverleaf about an inch below the first shot. It was hitting a little to the left for some reason so I decided to move my sights a bit. After I moved my sights my next shot landed right about where I wanted it. After that it all went to hell. My next few shots were all over the place! I think it was because I had a good head wind and my eyes were getting watery. Maybe I was starting to pull it a bit to. Not sure.

This gun has always shot this load really well and I was really excited to see if cloverleaf. Not sure what happened at the end there but I know it had to be me.

Cant wait to go hunting tomorrow! Hope I get a big muley.

Wind does strange things to the flight of a roundball.

If you were firing with a 10 mile per hour crosswind (fairly light) the ball will be deflected about 2 inches with your .54 caliber gun firing at about 1450 fps velocity at 40 yards.

If the wind was blowing harder the deflection will be even more.

That's why most folks say one should never adjust their sights to correct them on a windy day.

Just to be sure, check that rear sight to make sure its not loose in the dovetail. Moving it can sometimes loosen it.

It's already been said by two experts, but I'll give it a go! Never adjust your sights under those conditions, instead just use Kentucky Windage and Elevation to put the rounds where you want them, and then REMEMBER what you had to do with your rifle to overcome one of Nature's obstacles!

Good luck and remember to keep your shots at 40 yards and under, since you altered your sights.

Dave

Hmmm. 'Watery eyes" suggests you were not wearing eye protection.

Many people believe the only reason for eye protection is safety. While that's clearly the most important reason, you may have discovered the other reason: clear vision.

If I'm wrong and you did have glasses on, you may wish to reevaluate your choice and look for something that provides better protection from the wind.

The wind was head on so I did not think it would matter. If I remember right it was shooting to the left last time I shot it also.

How far would a 54cal roundball with 100gr FFG drift at 100yds in a crosswind of say 10-15mph or so?

Do you have a swabbing routine, we do alot of shooting at our shoots and I have one gun that like a swab at three rounds and another that likes a swab at 4 shots . With my current patch lube of beeswax and olive oil that is a little less with spit. :thumbsup:

Back