• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

range report on 62 rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonbuck

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I got out with the newly bored by Bob Hoyt 62 cal 1 in 66. At 25 yards, the range was crowded I had the group of 70 gr 3f keyhole and the 70 grain of 2f made a cloverleaf shape. all were touching. THere is a huge difference in recoil between 70 gr 2f and 3f loads. I will take it out to 50 and 75 yards next week and work up to 80 grains. I do not think I would like to shoot heavier loads than that.

buttonbuck said:
THere is a huge difference in recoil between 70 gr 2f and 3f loads. I will take it out to 50 and 75 yards next week and work up to 80 grains. I do not think I would like to shoot heavier loads than that.
Two thoughts:
If you're shooting from a bench, a benched position can deliver recoil straight back into a shooter because the shooters body doesn't move very much, as it would if shooting in normal hunting positions.
The overall weight of the rifle may be very light.
(Or both of the above)

For reference, IMO 70grns is basically just an entry level plinking load in a big 62cal bore...some routinely shoot hunting loads up to 130-140grns.
I used a mid range 100grn charge in my .62cal rifle for my short range deer hunting in thick woods and it was a powder-puff to shoot...I currently use 110grns PRB load in a .62cal smoothbore, also a moderate load as far as recoil goes.

My 62 is extremely accurate with 70 gr FFFg Swiss. I have no problem harvesting deer with that load. I have used heavier loads, but wonder if it's truely necessary?

flintlock62 said:
I have used heavier loads, but wonder if it's truely necessary?
"Necessary" is somewhat of a subjective thing for everyone's various circumstances / interests.
I like big game loads for big game primarily to know I have reasonably flat trajectory at distance.
As I said..."IMO"...70grns is basically an entry level load...and I go deer hunting with the expectation of one day having a good buck step out onto a loggers road at 110yds and not have to 'guesstimate' on anything about the shot.
My mid-range charge of 110grns Goex is only a penny or two more powder, accuracy is outstanding, recoil is no issue, and terminal results of a .600" ball with mojo are truly impressive...so I say "why not"...others mileage may vary of course.

The keyhole I chose the wrong terminology. I will try to go for accuracy first but would like "wompability" Thanks for the Idea of the bench being brutal on the shooter Maybe I will try the shooting stick. For now I just want to get accuate.

buttonbuck said:
The keyhole I chose the wrong terminology. I will try to go for accuracy first but would like "wompability" Thanks for the Idea of the bench being brutal on the shooter Maybe I will try the shooting stick. For now I just want to get accuate.
Another thing that might be of interest...consider how you will probably take most of your hunting shots and practice / adjust the sights from that position.
For me, 99% of the time I'm sitting down with my off elbow down against my side chest, lower back against a tree...surprisingly steady...yet my upper body can give / rock with the shot and recoil is nothing...I make my final sight adjustments from that shooting position.

If you're not careful, its not uncommon to adjust sights on the bench where there is very little muzzle rise because the body is all up over everything, holding everything down...then when you take a shot sitting or standing where your body will rock back some and allow the muzzle to rise, the POI is higher than you got on the bench...and depending on distance, you can hit a deer too high or go over its back completely.

fishspike said:
I am curious why 3fff would be chosen instead of 2ff in a .62 caliber rifle.

Bob

Why not? FFFg burns more cleanly and one can use about 10% less. Every tenth can of powder is free!

flintlock62 said:
fishspike said:
I am curious why 3fff would be chosen instead of 2ff in a .62 caliber rifle.

Bob

Why not? FFFg burns more cleanly and one can use about 10% less. Every tenth can of powder is free!

Agree. Why not? I will admit, at one time, and for a long time, it was practically gospel that over .50 cal., some said over .45 cal., only 2Fg. should be used. That notion has fallen by the wayside. Properly loaded 3Fg. can almost be considered the universal granulation for ml rifles.

I try both 2f and 3f since I have both. I should have said vertical string of shots that were touching. imagine a snowman. Not keyhole. That is a good point roundball on bench vs real hunting situation. I shoot in the same form but usually up a tree on a bucket seat. I have taken deer from the ground as well, I prefer it. On summer vacation I want to get really familiar with this rifle. I have never shot a deer over 60 yards and do not intend to. I just want to be able to shoot well with the gun out to 100 yards. I chose the 62 because I want to anchor my deer. I have harvested a good number of whitetails with the 54 cal renegade and they generally go down quickly. I was just never 100% comfortable shooting at a big buck with the renegade. I hunt a small piece and some neighbors are kind of jerks about letting you track. I have made textbook shots on deer and they go down in sight and others just go on. I had a big doe 150lb go 200 yards with a heart lung shot granted the creek bed was flat and she piled up next to the road (easy pickup) but...who knows experience often changes us.

Back