• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report for my .58 Colerain barreled Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgg

40 Cal.
Reaction score
A friend just finished a "Bridger-style" 1 1/8" Colerain barreled .58 halfstock Hawken for me and I have been very impressed with how well it shoots--this is my first Colerain rifle barrel but will not be my last. I bought the barrel from Track and left it at 36" to get the front sight out where I can focus on it better with my "older" eyes. This makes for a 12 lb rifle, which is awful heavy, but it is a pleasure to shoot and rock solid on the bench or off crossed sticks. It has a Davis lock and triggers and the furniture and adjustable sight came from Track.

I was not really planning to build a gun this heavy but we got a great deal on a super piece of wood when a stock carver friend messed up and cut the barrel channel back at the breech end just a hair wide. It was not a terrible mistake, but it was not perfect either and the carver sold me the "mistake" for only $100. Normally wood like this pre-carved would be pushing $250 to $300, I think. Anyway, my builder friend filled in the left side of the breech area with a little glass--shown in one of the pics--and built the rifle. I think it turned out very nice, and its weight makes it a pleasure to shoot. I would not want to carry it on foot up and down mountains deer hunting all day, but for sitting at the edge of a corn field in Iowa or PA with a pair of crossed sticks waiting for a deer to come out it should be pretty good.

I have been experimenting with loads and it seems to like 80 to 90 grains of Goex 3F, Ox Yoke .020 Wonder Lube patches, and Hornady .570 balls. I had a little "Christmas shoot" today and was very pleased with 100 yard group it fired. Like I said, this Colerain barrel shoots, and their round bottom rifling cleans up very easily. I have about 70 shots through it and am enjoying it.
IMGP1127.jpg

IMGP1125.jpg

IMGP1197.jpg

IMGP1198.jpg

IMGP1203.jpg

IMGP1202.jpg

I'm jealous.

Santa didnt bring me one :wink:

That gun is a beauty and the groups are excellent!

Nice.

BillinOregon said:
CGG: I should hope you are enjoying it! That's a handsome rifle, and those are even "handsomer" groups. I think you need to find a rifle match somewhere and take some of the other fellers' money!

Thanks for the nice replies, but keep in mind these groups were shot off the bench, not off hand or even off sticks. The rifle might be able to win some $$, but I doubt I could at a real match!

You did good!! And I agree with others, yu are short changing your shooting. Get in some competitions, and see what happens? :idunno:

Very Nice rifle an even nicer groups. I have a Bridger from totw in a 54. It too is very heavy but it is also is a shooter :thumbsup:

Back