• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range Report: .54cal/.28ga Flint Smoothbore Small Game Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Ran a series of pattern tests today using the .54cal GM Flint smoothbore barrel at 30 yards to develop a good small game load of #5s for rabbits/squirrels/crows.

Cylinder bore Flint barrel
70grns Goex 3F
1 Oxyoke lubed wad -or- 1/2 lubed cushion wad
100grns #5 chilled shot
Circle Fly OS card

(Oddly, 60grns gave a thinner pattern)

It patterns so well there's no need to even bother with paper shot cups or jug chokes.

Round ball I have a 56 cal. and it seems the pattern opens up a great deal after 20 yds. I was using 70 grs. 3f goex 1/2 wad over the powder 1 1/8 of #5 shot and a over shot card. I tried a 28 ga. plastic shot cup without the 1/2 wad over the powder and it did not seem to help. What is a paper shot cup and where do I find them for a 56 cal. muzzleloader? I thought about getting it choked but I shoot patched round balls with it too. If I get some place close to start I may go to the range next week or so and try it out. :hmm:

BILLYGOAT said:
Round ball I have a 56 cal. and it seems the pattern opens up a great deal after 20 yds. I was using 70 grs. 3f goex 1/2 wad over the powder 1 1/8 of #5 shot and a over shot card. I tried a 28 ga. plastic shot cup without the 1/2 wad over the powder and it did not seem to help. What is a paper shot cup and where do I find them for a 56 cal. muzzleloader? I thought about getting it choked but I shoot patched round balls with it too. If I get some place close to start I may go to the range next week or so and try it out. :hmm:
I never had 100% trustworthy success with any kind of shot cup I've tried...and paper ones you have to make yourself anyway.

If you'll slice that lubed cushion wad in half with a razor blade, or better yet, just use a single .58cal Oxyoke lubed wonderwad, your pattern should tigthten up dsome, then, in that 1" TC barrel bump the shot charge up to 90 or 100grns...will get a much better pattern at longer distances.

Jug Chokes - My PRB group size doubled when I tried them through a jug choked .20ga I[url] have...made[/url] do difference what combination or number of wads I added to try to eliminate the effects of the jug[url] choke...in[/url] fact they usually made it worse...was lucky to keep them on a paper plate at 50yds...not good enough for deer hunting of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
3-4 of shot to powder works best in my gun. Good patterns and good penetration. If you drop below the 3-4 ratio, the speed begins to slow and at 25 yards the pattern is gone and so is the speed needed for clean kills. If you go over that, the speed is good but the pattern has holes in it and is spread more. The load Roundball posted is the one I use when the leaves are on and I am chasing squirrels in the tree tops. If you drop the powder to 60, drop the shot to 80 and you will maintain your pattern. 60-80 is a wonderful dove/small game load. If you are turkey hunting, raise the powder to 90 and the shot to 120. Not fun to shoot, but it maintains the pattern needed for longer range turkey shots.
I need to try some of the felt cushion wads to see how well they work in my gun. Lubed cushion wads do not help until you hit the small shot sizes so far.

BILLYGOAT said:

Billygoat: I know Roundball just told you to increase the powder charge, but I am going to ALSO suggest you try lowering it. Try going down to a 2 dram load, or even a 1 3/4 dram load. ( 55 grs. and 47 grains, respectively) If you read the V.M. Starr article under Bob Spenser's website, " Black Powder Notebook",

[url] http://members.aye.net/~bspen/starr.html[/url]

You will find he recommends lighter powder charges for better patterns in those small gauges. The #5 shot weighs enough to carry a punch well beyond 30 yards, so don't worry about shot " Bouncing off the bunnies", at any range you might reasonable expect to shoot at them with the lower powder charge.

I also think that 1 5/8 oz. of shot is a HUGE( not dangerous, but just unnecessary, and self defeating) overload for that gauge( I don't use 1 5/8 oz. shotloads in my 12 gauge!) Again, see the V.M. Starr article. What you have done by using that much shot is reduce the velocity of that 70 grains of powder by putting so much more shot in front of it. Why not try a load that is not beating up your gun so much, and will kill just as well, throw good patterns, while saving you both expensive lead and expensive powder? Try 7/8 oz. of shot( 62 grains by volume) with a 2 dram, or 1 3/4 dram powder charge just to see how it patterns, and compare pellet counts to the patterns you are getting with your current load.

I think you might change that load, by using OS cards instead of that cushion wad. Put an off-center hole in each card to let air escape and enter to separate the wads once they leave the barrel. The lighter cards will not " FOLLOW " the shot, and bump it, causing the pattern to open up.

Remember, all mass has gravity, and larger masses have more gravity than do smaller masses.( That is why lint is attracted to your dark wool sportscoat! It stays there because of static electricity.) That shot is also producing a vacuum behing the mass of shot for at least the first 9 feet out the barrel. That vacuum " sucks " in the trailing wads.

If you ever watch NASCAR racing, the reason cars pass on the curves is because they can use the vacuum, or " Draft " of the car in front to gain enough speed to pass on the inside of the curve. The vacuum of the car in front means less air hitting the trailing car, so that its engine can produce more relative speed for acceleration of the car past the leading car.

Now, no wad is going to pass the shot in front of it, but the wad is being pulled along, in part, by that vacuum behind the shot.

You want to use lighter wads to push the shot down the barrel, so that they drop out of the line of flight as soon as possible. Using OS cards, with those off center holes in them to allow air to separate the cards as soon as they are free of the barrel is the quickest way to get those " wads" OUT of the line of flight, so they can't follow or bump the shot in the air. The hole in the card also prevents a vacuum from " sucking " the card behind it. That will contribute to tighter patterns.

I also recommend you try greasing the barrel with a lubed cleaning patch after seating the OS cards on top of the shot to hold the shot load in place. YOu can do this in one operation, if you put the cleaning patch in front of your jag, and on top of the OS cards you are running down. That will save reloading time. The grease will allow the outer pellets of shot to slide over the barrel, rather than rub off lead on the bore as they exit the barrel. The more round the pellets remain, the tighter the pattern is going to be. The grease will be there to keep the fouling from the powder residue soft, and manageable, too.

If you make up paper shot cups, or if you want to experiment more with the 28 gauge plastic cups, use scotch tape, or a sliver of plastic insert in the cup to limit how open the petals will go, and limit thereby how fast they release the shot into the air. The delay of only a fraction of a second will extend the tigher pattern's range, considering flight times.

If you don't have it, buy a copy of the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Manual. The tables there on velocities, and pellet energy, flight time, and drop apply to both modern and ML shotgun loads.

You can chronograph any given load you make up for your ML shotgun by making a " slug " out of the shot, wrapping it in a tube of paper( or using a plastic shot cut that you tape shut with the shot in it). That lets the shot pass over the screen of your chronograph without endangering the machine or screens. Since you are measuring Muzzle Velocity with that chronogaph, there will be almost no difference in velocity for a standard shot load, and your " slug " using the same amount of shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks, I will let you know how things work out. I plan on getting to the range this coming week, I hope? Still got a few honey due jobs to get done. :shake:

Back