• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

RamRod/rangerod accessories manure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.D123

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After getting a Pedersoli Blue Ridge/Frontier and finally getting to go make smoke something terrible happened.
I was packing it all in after a few good shoots and cleaning the bore with a nylon brush wrapped with a cleaning patch. It wasn't tight or anything, just snug. The brush broke off the end of the metal screw in part. I'm just terribly annoyed. A good day ended on a sour note.

I've tried:

PVC pipe to surround brush, super glue to inside of pipe, compressed air. I'm at wits end. The problem is the patch bunches up preventing me going further. I would shoot it out, but I can't put the touch hole back on because of the powder.

My other issue I've heard a lot of bad things about area gunsmiths and im trying to save money by not going.

I have read people use a copper pipe to get around the brush, not sure about the patch on it though. Maybe you can get a adapter and blow it out with air.

try putting a small fish hook on a stiff wire, might be able to get next to the brush and snag the patch and pull both out.

I know. It sit all night without being cleaned and I could hear it's whimpers of pain.
I did spray ballistol mix into the breech and through the muzzle. I'll try the fish hook idea. I was going to use a patch puller, but can't find mine and no local place to get.

Best I've seen for really tough obstructions is to pull the vent liner and install a zirk fitting with the right threads. Apply grease gun and it will ooze out about anything you can jam a bore with. Not too bad to clean up, but still a lotta grease to remove and dispose of.

dunno if you could stuff a few tiny rag peices in vent hole and 3 grains powder and shoot out? Not alot of pressure to blow the loose line out (or clean the threads well and fully reseat?)

Well, the hook didn't work. I think I'm going to have to try shoot it out. I put a light up to the vent and don't see any spill over. So that means its at least tight.

Where can I get a fitting for the grease gun? Mechanic?

You can get your zerk at any hardware or auto parts store.
Once you get your junk out of bore and clean the rifle your next step needs to be to buy two good ramrods. One for carrying on rifle and a range rod. Range rod should be a sturdy synthetic material like stainless steel, brass or Delrin. And, have the tips well secured and cross pinned. The first lesson in this game to avoiding problems is to avoid problems grom git go.
On the upside, don't feel discouraged, we have all been there.

The best rig is to take a wire coat hanger and starighten it out. Use a needle nose pliers to form a corkscrew on the end. The corkscrew must be wide enough to thread around the axle of the brush but not too wide. Push it down the barrel, screw it around the brush and pull it out. Now, you have learned a valuable lesson about muzzleloading bore brushes. Only buy the style that has the wire wrapped through the threaded axle, not the style that is crimped into a bushing on the axle. Next question, was that a dry patch in a dry, fouled bore?

Yup, hardware store. I looked up the thread size for all the nipples and vent liners on my guns and bought zerks for each. They're in my gun tool box now, but thankfully I haven't needed them after that first learning experience. But several friends are really glad I have them! :thumbsup:

Drill thru a perc. nipple, thread it into vent, blow out with a rubber tipped airgun. If you have all that, that is...Simple--shoot it out...Tom

My problem isn't with the ramrod. I learned with my first rifle not to use the ramrod. I bought a brass range rod when I bought this gun.

I'm looking up thread size for the liner.

I did take the barrel to a shop and was immediately shutdown and berated. Needless to say, I won't ever go there for anything.

I'm feeling pressed because it needs to be cleaned and I don't want to ruin the barrel. :shake: :idunno:

? Why are you using a bore brush anyway. In 30yrs of shooting smoothbores and rifles I have never had the need to use one I just use hot soapy water and lots of cleaning patches. Has always worked for me. The guns I own have either GM or Colrain barrels. After hundreds of rounds they are as bright and shinny as the day I got them. All I have done is clean and oiled them with a range rod and a cleaning jag. Just my 2¢

I would try to shoot it out. be patient, take your time, dont get frustrated it may take several attempts. it will not take very much powder to blow it out. second choice would be an air compressor, a necked down tire bead sealer or similar ball valve setup will blow it out.
I had the same thing happen once. I no longer use brushes or anything flexible in a muzzleloader.
the problem is brushes flex going into and when bottoming out of the barrel. repeated flexing causes them to break at the point where the threads begin.

Third choice would be to fabricate a worm
fourth choice grease gun time.

"I did take the barrel to a shop and was immediately shutdown and berated."

Why would you ever take the rifle to a shop? You can get that same or more thorough berating and shutdown right here, in the privacy & comfort of your home, for free.

Many, many of us have done the same thing you have. This bp/ml problem is discussed here monthly.

Be of strong heart heart. You'll get it out sooner or later.

Had that same problem with a shooting buddy's rifle. I bet him dinner that I could get the brush out without much problem.

I got a piece of .30-06 brass and cut off the base. I drilled the sides full of tiny holes, then crimped the neck over a piece of threaded stock, and soldered it into place.

I screwed the rig onto the end of my range rod, then stoutly jammed it over the brush at the end of his bore.

The tube full of holes is small enough that when jammed over a larger diameter brush, causes the bristles to be forced backward. The little holes further trap the brush bristles. It was then as simple matter to yank out the rod, unscrew the fixture with brush inside, and toss itin the recycling bucket.

The brush became permanently trapped in the perforated brass. It would have been wrecked anyway if I pulled it out with pliers.

Your barrel will be fine. Don't worry about a few days with out being cleaned. You will get it out and won't be able to tell it wasn't cleaned on time. I wouldn't worry a bit. Larry

Back