• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

rack or meat?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hunt because I like to hunt, for many reasons.

We have a large deer herd (and some large deer too) so we have the option to buy several tags. Usually I have 4 or more tags. 2 firearm and 2 muzzleloader. Illinois allows ML rifles during the regular firearm season so that is what I carry.

Having these multiple tags and lots of deer in my area allows me to be selective. I like venison so I will shoot a doe or 2 (or 3) for the freezer. However, I also like a big rack. I do not shoot small bucks. If you shoot the small bucks they will never grow up to be big bucks. I may use a buck tag(either sex) for a doe, and I will probably take home at least one buck tag unfilled, but I will hold out until the very end for a mature, "trophy" buck with at least one of my tags.
This usually guarantees that I get to hunt the whole season. :wink:
I have got a couple nice ones mounted and hanging above the mantle.

Meat first. Since I always butcher my own game, there's something very satisfying about having a beer and watching the animal diminish to bones as the pile of white packages grow. Like some of you have mentioned, I too seldom buy beef, mostly live off elk meat year round. And it's better for you.

Now, there have been times when I've had two or three bucks in front of me and had a choice as to which one to take. You know I went for the bigger rack, of course. Bill

Ever since shooting my first doe at the age of 11 w/ a .22 while squirrel hunting, meat has been my "prime target". Back then that July venison was the first fresh meat of the year seeing we didn't have electricity and preserved the farm meat by salting and storing in crocks. Have shot some really big bucks for sausage and my neighbors had the racks hanging in their garages...through the years, didn't even take a peek.....Fred

I have a passion for the hunt. I love to be part of the life cycle and be at one with nature. I try to take the first legal animal that offers an opportunity. Hunting in New England is tough. The success rates are among the lowest in the nation so you can't afford to be too picky.

An excellent point...we all have to play the cards we've been dealt. Here in the southern states with our very long growing seasons and short/mild winters, we have very large deer populations and fortunately our larger land masses are relatively sparsely populated with people, so hunting pressure is much less here then in the smaller, colder, crowded New England states.

I hunt for meat. mostly I hunt to get out of the house and work. all my deer elk ducks geese ARE TROGHYS in my eyes becuase I busted my hump to get them. my biggest elk was a cow. biggest deer was a 2 point black tail.

Meat comes first for me. I usually have several doe tags a year so "if it`s brown it`s down". The farmers around here apreciate it as well. I do shoot bucks though if I get the chance. The racks look good on the wall.

I hunt "deer" so, if a buck comes by and offers a shot I'll shoot. Same thing with a nice fat doe. We get an "Any Deer" tag here in Kansass so that plus the one antlerless only tag for my region gives me a choice.

Not that I have had many choices or chances the last couple seasons... :shake:

Not to get on a soap box but I believe that the latest fad in focusing on trophy hunting will be a detriment to hunting in the future. I see it now as many are brainwashed into thinking that a deer less than B and C grade is not worth anything. The hunting community must change the focus for the good of the sport.

Im a meat hunter!! Our rack rules(my buddies and I) are 4x4 or better, if we shoot a buck. As it stands I buy 2 antlerless only tags(2 deer each) and my Muzzleloader tag(1 antlerless, and 1 either sex tag) so I can shoot a total of 6 deer. I use it to feed the family, and also work with guys that are outdoorsmen, so we grill at work A LOT also. But the few bucks I have shot had good racks, but none that could be calssified as "trophy"

I too pass on small deer all the time. I like waiting for a big old doe without a fawn. We have a lot of coyotes around here and they take thier share of fawns. I think that most fawns are not ready for life on thier own by the time our muzzleloading season starts. I have still seen spots on a few at this time, but they are fun to watch.

i hunt for a buck for the most part unless the area i hunt needs to have some females taken to keep things in check.

the main thing to me is to help sustain a heathy deer population not too many ...not too few.

so far so good.

good hunting!!

I'm really a horn hunter at heart. But, with the abundance of tags available here, I take my share of meat deer too. Usually, I hold out for the big buck early in the season & later make sure the freezer is filled before season or hunting time is over. I'm afraid that this year is going to be a meat year because of limited hunting time. Starting a new job & probably won't get much time off to hunt. :(

410-er said:
Who want to eat an ole boar pig anyway! :idunno:

if you prep the meat right the big boars are just as good as everything else. You just have to soak it in brine to get all the hormones out of the meat.

The only exception being the very young pigs. less than about 40lbs or so. They're much better eating than the adult pigs by far. Also easier to carry out. :thumbsup:

I agree about the soaking. I just add one extra step- I soak the meat in cold clean water, after the brine soak, to get the salt( and more blood) out of the Wild boar.

Its the strong blood taste that most people don't like, and are not prepared to eat with their pork. Many call such meat "gamey" when there is Nothing spoiled about it.

If I leave the salt from the brine in the pork the end product tastes more like salt-cured ham, than pork. To each his own, of course! :grin: :thumbsup:

My thoughts......... (Note: My father has the same opinion that you do)

Experiance comes with age and a "tender littlel forky" aka: a yearling dosnt have any and therefore is much easier to harvest. A step up from a cow in the pasture if you will.

Now a mature buck of 3+ years will be a tad tougher to chew (proper aging and care will solve most of that) but the chess game to take him will have meaning and memories.

Just :2

Latest posts

Back