• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rabbits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bezoar

45 Cal.
Reaction score
My sweet little does are finally having their babies. pretty quick i should have 2 litters of rabbits to eat. Are there any rabbit recipies i should avoid? Can anyone suggest a good elegant recipe for rabbit?

Bezoar,
One of my favorite ways to cook rabbit and even
tree rats is to quick brown in skillet. Then cover with
a can of cream of mushroom and a can of cream of celery
soups. I serve it with either mashed potatoes or rice.
Very good.After baking at 350 for at least an hour. I remember as a kid eating a rabbit dish called
Hosenfeffer(not sure of spelling) I don't have a recipe
but maybe another member does. It to was very good. I think
it was a German dish.
snake-eyes

Try this:
Hasenpfeffer

1 Rabbit
Salt water
1 Onion studded with 12 Cloves
Flour
Equal parts butter and lard for frying
Pinch of cinnamon
1 tb Vinegar
Soak rabbit in salt water several hours; rinse with clear water. Put in a kettle and cover with water, adding onion studded with cloves.
When tender, remove from pot, roll in flour and fry in fats until brown. Just before it's done, add cinnamon and vinegar; cover and let smother a minute or two. Put rabbit on platter, make gravy with pan drippings and flour, then add cooking liquid from boiling the rabbit. Pour gravy over rabbit and serve.

Bezoar,

I don't from nothin' about elegance, but my favorite way to cook rabbit (aside from over a campfire, miles from nowhere with just a little salt!) is in a crockpot or dutch oven.

No fancy recipe to follow - I make up a batch of homemade noodles (eggs, flour and a touch of salt) before hand and toss them in about half way through the process. Other than that - Just add your own seasonings and touches; Sometimes I'll toss in some veggies and cheese, other times mushrooms w/milk and a little flour to thicken things up.

When rondyvooin' I'll make my rabbit in a big (24 quart) Dutch oven. I'll cut a couple or three bunnies in half and get 'em started in some water, then add the noodles, a handful of wild onions, carrots fresh from the garden, salt, tobasco sauce and a spoonful of butter and maybe a cabbage leaf or two. After that I stick the lid back on, set the whole mess on the coals and go shoot my targets. When I come back - SUPPER TIME! I can generally feed about as many folks as wants to stop by for a taste (or two!) and still have enough left over to use for soppin' gravy for breakfast the next morning.

Oh, forgot to mention - My rabbits are always cottontails as it's getting harder and harder to find homegrown rabbits around here for eatin' purposes.

...The Kansan...

y'all reminded me of two bad jokes:
1. Gypsy Hausenpfeffer.."first, steal a rabbit..."
and,
2.wartime German recipe:" make it 50-50 horsemeat and rabbit...one horse to one rabbit.."
Sorry, Hank

This happened in Sicily where a critter was caught by the Germans and prepared.

"The skin having been removed, her carcass was cut into pieces, was soaked twenty-four hours in vinegar, and annointed with garlic and honey until all the disagreeable strong flavour was subdued, afer which it formed a capital fricassee."
They shared their meal with their sergeants wife who consumed it was relish.

After the critter was eatened, its skin (with fur still intact)was stuffed with straw and shown to one of its consumer. "Look, Mrs. Sergeant: here is the hide of ours Sicilian cony." She was horrified as she recognized it was one of the house cats she had just eaten and not a wabbit. :sorry:

Two Hearts,
I don't know if thats what i ate years ago
but it does sound good and i will try it as soon as
bunny season gets here. :thanks:
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

A cat and a rabbit look real similar without their respective tails. :crackup:
COOK...COOK....BRING ME MY HOSENPFEFFER!!!
I love that Bugs Bunny cartoon. :crackup:

DavidS,
I think i will stay with the bunnys! As much
as i dislike cats & opossums i would not eat either
no matter how prepared. :results:
snake-eyes

Actually, cat can be quite tasty (though a little stringy) but possum really needs to have the EXCESS grease cooked out of it, for our taste. Some days are better than others. :)
Best Wishes

. . . a can of cream of mushroom and a can of cream of celery . . .

We've used the cream of mushroom (and celery salt) but I don't ever recall ever even seeing cream of celery soup. Then again, I don't think I ever tried looking for any. I'll alert THE ADMIRAL to pick some up before bunny season. Sounds yummy!

We raised rabbits when first married. Lord, I hated prepping domestic rabbits for table. Geese and chickens I didn't mind so much.

I'm the opposite. I don't mind dressing rabbits but HATE to butcher chickens. When I was a kid, we would get 200 chicks and raise them , every spring, and butcher them all in one weekend. Being the youngest, I always got stuck plucking. :curse:feathers. The only fun part was catching them. Hook them suckers with a bent coat hanger by the leg and chase my sister with it. :crackup:
Never had opposum, my Dad said he had it exactly ONCE. He said it was the nastiest thing he ever ate.
I raised rabbits when I was in Jr.High School. I'd butcher up to 25 at a time by myself. I got pretty good at it. Back then there was a place that would buy the hides for 50 cents apiece.

Stumpy,
Cream of celery is there in the soup section,
most likely real close to the cream of mushroom and it
is very good in a lot of dishes especially casoroles.
snake-eyes :peace:

Found it.

Now I know. I tossed some in our cart yesterday night and THE ADMIRAL slapped me upside my haid. "We already have that, idjut! You can't shoot rabbits now, no how." She's been using it right along in lots of things. :redface: They got them "pop" lids now so I can never tell when we're eatin from Chef Campbell's wagon.

Though, she did say "might as well get another" as I was dusting myself off and groping around for my glasses. I hate it when she slaps me with a can of beans in her hand.

Stumpy,
If Mrs snake-eyes can make me look :: :: or just stupid she will attempt
to do it, no matter when or where we are at. It usually
don't work because i'm louder than her and her :redface:
will be double mine before all is said and done.
snake-eyes :hmm:

my grandma makes a concontion of vinegar, ketchup, and barbi Q sauce. mixes it up with onions celery and some green and red peppers (bell) lets it set in the frig for about an hour... then puts rabbit and mix in to a roasting pan in th oven for about and hour...@ 350 deg. it is very good but very messy...like kfc used to say finger licking good..

Wabbit Stew

"Comrade Brown writes as follows: 'The Captain was our guest at the Christmas dinner on Ladies' Island, South Carolina, 1862. It was a great time. One of the few times during the service of the company when the bars in rank were let down and all met on the level as a happy family. The first delicacy served was a rabbit stew in which the Captain found a wishbone. With an incredible yet knowing smile, the Captain remarked dryly, 'I did not know before, boys, that rabbits had wishbones.'
'Oh yes,' we replied, 'they do down here.'"

The way they got the wabbit for the stew follows:

"Sergeant Fogg in command of picket post, was, the day before the dinner, swirling a stick around his head, and it accidentally(?) slipped out of his hand and, strange to say, hit and killed a good fat hen. A little later Sergeant Sumner did the same thing. We did not want to let them spoil, hence the rabbit stew with wishbones. The rabbit story attachment runs thus: I was cut in the corn field roaming about seeking something to devour, (and sure an accident this time,) I stepped on a good big rabbit asleep. My big foot put him into his final slumber and I lugged him to camp in triumph."

There, now that you've got the alibi and the hunting technique, go get the wabbit.
:front:

Latest posts

Back