• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex discussion versus Blackpowder on this forum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
an acquaintance went big game hunting somewhere, don't recall where. He was warned that black powder was very hard to get at his destination and wanted to use his flintlock. He put a solid plug in the touch hole, and filled the bore with powder and plugged it and shipped it that way to himself care of the guide. He said the guide was a bit miffed about it. I have no idea how much trouble a person could be in if caught.

I've been shooting muzzleloaders since 1970. I have tried BP and all substitutes almost as soon as they made the scene. Another 20 or 30 years maybe I will have all the answers, but to date here is my take:

1 - Almost every ML'ing gun shoots differently, more so, than high powder rifles.
2 - Every side-hammer BP gun I own now GOEX Black powder shoots better than any of the substitutes and recently I tried SWISS BP and it shoots that much better than the GOEX. All of that being said, I made a gun for my son-in-law and his gun will shoot triple seven every bit as good as BP and that was me shooting both kinds through his gun. I have a friend that is very scientific about and his conclusion is the same as mine - use black powder.

Of course the conclusion is "See what YOUR gun will do with different powders. I guess it is all a given.

Boy, talk about getting off topic. I should have read the Topic Creator's intention before responding.

This ain't bad. You want to see off-topic, peruse Glocktalk sometime. You start out seeing responses to the OP, then by the third page there are two guys in a virtual fistfight of words over something completely irrelevant to the topic. :idunno:
ML Forum is great!

In general black powder is not allowed on a commercial aircraft. A bush plane that you hire to haul you into the bush is a commercial aircraft.

I have a special permit from the USDOT that allows me to fly with black powder and percussion caps into the bush of Alaska on a for hire bush plane.

As far as I know, I am the only person that has requested and has been granted a special permit for this.

Others can request a special permit as well if they want to do the same.

Fleener

Back