• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyrodex CTG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedFeather

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Got an old full bottle of this that still ignites OK. Wondering what bore it might be good for? Is it like Fg, etc? Just going to shoot informal target with anything from .50 - .58. Have some P, too. Maybe a duplex load of CTG over P? Yeah, too cheap to use it for fertilizer.

I have never seen CTG. I imagine it stands for cartridge. So maybe equivalent to 2f, slightly slower burning? If it goes boom in your rifle, use it up.

I agree with Ghettogun. Use it up.

I had a can of CTG many years ago. Never burned a grain of it and finally gave it to a friend. Don't know if he ever used it or not. As I recall, it looked like tiny pebbles and the grain size was definitely larger than 2fg.

I would go ahead an pour it in the garden myself. Blackpowder's to cheap to buy the sub's that are more expensive.

There are those who say that the substitutes degrade over time. There are also those who say that it doesn't. I don't use the stuff now but did several years ago. I can't say for sure whether or not it actually degrades but when I did use it, it seemed to me that after about a year, it began to loose power. So, based on my limited experience, I would say that if it does degrade, it will become somewhat weaker over time. That being the case, I'd say go ahead and use it so long as you are satisfied with its performance. I would expect it to only get weaker not hotter with time. If it doesn't perform to your satisfaction, it will make good fertilizer so just sprinkle it on the ground and forget it.

I was given three pounds of CTG a few years back. Guy had it around for years before giving it to me, but I can't tell you how many.

My original plan was to use it in my 50-140 Winchester, but I never got around to that. Shot it up in my muzzleloaders instead, and to tell the truth I couldn't tell it from RS in any way. Never bought any more myself, but I wouldn't hesitate.

I'm not for sure but I think the CG powder was like 1 1/2 gr. I say shoot it up. I bought some BP a few years back and didn't notice until some time later notice he gave me 1f. I'm just going to mix it with 2f and shoot it up in my 58.

armakiller said:
I would go ahead an pour it in the garden myself. Blackpowder's to cheap to buy the sub's that are more expensive.

:shocked2: I wonder if oxymoron fits anywhere near a situation where PC would say "waste not want not" when the product is already in hand not to mention the monetary differences...
Akin to saying that you should drive what ever you drive into the river because horses get better gas mileage then your car does :doh:
AND... Im willing to bet its a pure myth that "real" BP is cheaper then the subs... Pyrodex at $14.99 a can on the shelf (meaning NO shipping nor Hazmat and 20% more shots per can then real BP as well) VS what; What is GOEX in your neighborhood that would be considered soooo cheap as to pour a sub out for? $7.00 a can??
:blah: :wink:

It may end up in the garden yet depending on how it shoots. I'll be sure to prominently display the label as I pour for my nosey next door NayBoor. Tell him it will make the flowers virtually explode. :)

Back