• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pyramid Poles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbsclohn

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Using a two pole setup on a pyramid, what would be the smallest diameter poles that could safely be used? I don't have access to long tall trees but I can get long 1 1/2 inch diameter wooden rods at a lumber yard for under a dollar a foot.
What is everyone's thoughts on this? Anyone done this before?
Thoughts and comments welcome
Greg Lohn

The pyramid is a 12 X 12 Panther with 13 oz canvas.
I am asking about hanging it by two poles lashed together by the normal two pole setup.

Greg 1 1/2 may be to light when ya get them long enough to hold up the tent. What is the length you would need from the ground to the tip of the pole? If its over about 10 foot your in real risky territory strength wise. Maybe you could lash two sets of two together for strength(getten costly now though). Have ya thought about a center pole on the inside, they really don't get all that much in the way and are nice to hang stuff off of at the same time.Personally I would go with the center pole, easier to set up(four stakes- one pole n yer under canvas in bad weather), ya can make it a two piece if ya need to for ease of carry, like I said nice to hang stuff from.

I have set it up by the one pole inside method and have hung it from a huge oak tree limb. Wife likes the room inside for her bed when there is no pole on the inside.I have not set it up using the two pole method because I don't have two poles and places where we go ,there is no tall trees to hang it up.
Just trying to find out if these poles will work before I buy them.

Yes,they said to use 2 1/2 to 3 inch diameter poles which I can not find around here.

Go to the lumber yard, get one 2 X 8 that doesn't have any knots. Cut in half the long way. That should give you two poles that are about 1-1/2" by 3-1/2". Run them through the saw a few more times to take off the corners. Paint them flat red, or blue and hang your tent from those poles. No one will say anything about your poles and they should be plenty strong. You can even fix a system of fastening the two poles together so you don't have to lash them.

Many Klatch

I've seen folks use windmill sucker rod. Its pretty tough for its diameter. Not real "period correct" though. Most of the folks I've seen with that type of setup have used lodgepole pine of approximately 2" to 3" diameter.

I thought about using a 4X4 and cutting it down to 2 1/2 to 3 inch in an octagonal shape then sanding it smooth but I am either too lazy to do that or I don't want to spend the extra money it would cost over the smaller diameter poles.

Greg, too bad you're so far away...I'd give you a couple of poles. I have a few left over from our tipi days. How high is the peak of your pyramid? What length would you need, about 16 feet?Emery

Thanks for the offer :thumbsup:
The peak is about 9 foot tall and suggested length is 14 foot but I would want to start out a little long and cut to fit

While this is in no way PC, the very best pyramid tent set up I have ever seen is a guy that made an internal frame from chain link fence top rails. He welded up a 4 swivel socket piece for the peak. He would lay the frame out in a large X, put the tent over the frame and raise the whole thing up. Very slick, the canvas didn't sag, and you could actually move the whole tent into place after it was up. Like I said, not PC, but unless you went into the tent you would never know.
I have a 15X15 pyramid and have thought about coming up with a rig like that for mine. It was amazing how much 'room' he gained by not having the center pole in the way.

Great idea :bow:
Wish I could see some pics but I got an idea of what you are talking about :hmm:

I looked into several different pole setups and metal poles of different types were an option. I've always had a fear that metal poles would potentially attract lightning. I've never heard of someone being struck by lightning while in a tent, but I'd be the first if it were to happen!

At a recent event we had quite a light show from a thunderstorm, but no lightning issues that I know of. I've had a couple close calls over the years with lightning, so strikes are always in the back of my mind.

Thanks for the link :thumbsup:
That looks great!
What are the dimensions on the steel plate? It can't be very big because it would have to fit the peak :hmm:

I don't really know, I just drew this from a quick look up and from talking to the guy who made it. I would guess the length wouldn't be much over 3 or 4 inches. I use a 3 1/2 in. center pole and it pretty well fills out the pocket at the top of my tent, I think if I made one up I would add some kind of cover or cap for it, maybe out of some 8 or 9 oz leather, just to keep the steel from abrading the canvas. I think the hardest part would be getting the socket made, this guy turned his out on a lathe. But you might be able to just modify and use the top rail sockets that are used with a chain link fence.

Latest posts

Back