• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Purge the butter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why We Don't Season Barrels

And this? Am very curious cause there seems to be those who swear by it and those who say this about it
Use want you want. OP asked for opinions and got a few. Personally love the stuff. Have picked up a number of ‘shot out’ barrels that the only thing wrong with them was a build up of Bore Butter or similar. It’s eye opening how barrels clean up with boiling water and get their accuracy back. No real hard data, just personal observation. Maybe it’s just me.

When I started muzzle loading the 70's TC seemed the only source of information on muzzle loading. I didn't have people to guide me so the TC owners manual got me started. Naturally, TC pushed Wonder Lube.
I found Wonder Lube could only be used in cold weather if I floated the tube in hot water to soften up before use. In hot weather, the Wonder Lube was thin as gravy and just as messy. I always cleaned the bore with boiling soapy water that was pumped with a ram rod. If my gun was to be stored for while I put the clean barrel in the oven and warmed it a while.
Back in the day my gun seemed to be okay but I never had or even heard of a bore light so I judged the bore by how clean the patches looked.
Now there are plenty of people that will offer advice on lubes and cleaning but the results seem to be the same. If someone doesn't take care of their gun they ruin the gun. On the other hand, If effort is made to clean and lube the gun it will out live its owner.
Just my 2 cents, so take it for what it is worth, elbow grease seems to be the best lube and it is free.

There's nothing SPECIFALY wrong with Bore Butter/Natural Lube 1000. It's basically the same thing. The problem is when cleaning. You HAVE to use Dawn and HOT water to dissolve the grease/crud. If not, then rust will happen. I have an Investarms/Lyman that I used Bore Butter as both a lube and as a protectant in for a decade that has NO rust. But it was not easy. I HAD to use a lot of Dawn and lots of hot water to get it out of the bore at cleaning. Then WD-40 to disperse water, then after patching the WD-40 dry, a patch or two of Bore Butter down the barrel. I don't do this anymore. I've change hunting lubes to something more user friendly. That said......

I've mentioned this on the forum before, and Zonie (RIP) was the moderator and I had to be a bit coy with my statement then, but since no one seems to care now........

One of my good friends hunts with a Rem 700 Inline that he has owned for almost 30 years. It is a stainless steel model. But SS won't do much for rust and corrosion, at least not as much as modern man thinks. Someone told him at time of purchase to NEVER clean with water. He refuses to listen to anyone (including me) that has anything to say otherwise. He shoots loose Pyrodex RS at 100 grains and a sabot. He swabs the bore clean with Bore Butter patches and wipes the entire gun down with Bore Butter. The entire firearm is 100% rust/corrosion/pitting free. I know because I've examined it out of perverse curiosity. After seeing this for 3 decades, I can't honestly talk poorly about Bore Butter. Would I do this? Absolutely NOT!!! But he has and it has worked for him.

Bore Butter is not the DEVIL, but who knows what is?!?!
I didn't know bb was bad till I started hanging out here the last couple of years.

Bore Butter is not so bad. For all practical purposes it is very similar to a mix of olive oil and bee's wax. The same goes for Wonder Lube. All of these waxy greases need to be cleaned from the bore after shooting. It's the build up of the mix of fouling with waxy greases over time that makes this groove clogging crud that destroys accuracy and traps water to promote rust. These deposits also turn to a rust colored brown crud that can easily convince one that the bore is hopelessly rusted and only fit for scrap steel. Many of the early production traditional rifles were used and cleaned with bore butter or lubricated with bore butter for storage and years later when brought out to be shot again appear to have a totally rusted out bore. With a lot of hard work, very hot water and solvents the dried out oils can be removed and the bore salvaged.

These lubricants when used as they should be, not as they were often advertised, are acceptable lubricants. Almost anything that is slightly slick and can be rubbed into a patch or wiped in a conical bullet's grooves can be an effective lubricant. What gives our firearms longevity is the after shooting cleaning and protective lubrication after all the fouling is removed.

Bore Butter is not so bad. For all practical purposes it is very similar to a mix of olive oil and bee's wax. The same goes for Wonder Lube. All of these waxy greases need to be cleaned from the bore after shooting. It's the build up of the mix of fouling with waxy greases over time that makes this groove clogging crud that destroys accuracy and traps water to promote rust. These deposits also turn to a rust colored brown crud that can easily convince one that the bore is hopelessly rusted and only fit for scrap steel. Many of the early production traditional rifles were used and cleaned with bore butter or lubricated with bore butter for storage and years later when brought out to be shot again appear to have a totally rusted out bore. With a lot of hard work, very hot water and solvents the dried out oils can be removed and the bore salvaged.

These lubricants when used as they should be, not as they were often advertised, are acceptable lubricants. Almost anything that is slightly slick and can be rubbed into a patch or wiped in a conical bullet's grooves can be an effective lubricant. What gives our firearms longevity is the after shooting cleaning and protective lubrication after all the fouling is removed.
Grenadier you have been a consistent voice of reason on a few of my posts now and I appreciate your wise council. I appreciate all who’ve posted and given their experiences and op ions and will make good use of y’all’s advice! Thanks from a novice!

I have used BB since the mid seventies in a TC Hawkins with no problems. Generally have a thermos with hot water and a squirt bottle of Dawn. After shooting squirt a little Dawn and pour hot water down the bore. Half a dozen patches then a little wd40 then when home pull the niple and the barrel and use a bucket of hot water with the pump method. Lube it lightly with BB and it's ready. There's no pitting in the bore. Don't shoot it much since the flintlock followed me home in94.

A friend of mine and his son went off for a long hunt away from civilization in the rockies. Once all set up they turned to loading their rifles but found they hadn't brought any lube.

So, they went into their provisions and pulled out a stick of butter 🧈 and loaded up. Meat was made. 😀

A friend of mine and his son went off for a long hunt away from civilization in the rockies. Once all set up they turned to loading their rifles but found they hadn't brought any lube.

So, they went into their provisions and pulled out a stick of butter 🧈 and loaded up. Meat was made. 😀
Could have just spit on it.

True, I don't think they gave it much thought. Dad was no stranger to muzzzleloaders. He was one of the best ml smith's I ever knew.

"Bore Butter is not the DEVIL, but who knows what is?!?!"

This is true. It really all depends on how, when, and on what that you use it. Don't like it? Then dont use it! Like it? Help yourself!

One thing we should all be pretty much agreeable about is that seasoning is a myth.

I just had to convice someone of this fact recently.

Latest posts

Back