• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

purchases per year

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattybock

40 Cal.
Reaction score
most of the people hereabouts are really into black powder, and I mean REALLY into it. And it's got me to thinking about how many guns we actually buy.
So far I have three black powder guns, an 1851 navy revolver clone, an 1860 army of the same and a St. Louis Hawken kit.
These came by after 5 or 6 years, or a gun every 2 years. And I wonder, how many guns do you own? How many do you buy a year?

You do realize that my wife might see what I post here? :shocked2:
I don't believe in living that dangerously.
:surrender:

Pistols over the years have been a come and go type thing for me over the years. Almost always I have had one.
As for BP rifles...well I just got that bug this year and I am not done getting rifles.

As for how many I have, I rather not say for the same reason as stated above. My spouse may read what I have posted and be reminded of what the arsenal looks like...

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my first MLer maybe 20 years ago. To date, I have ten altogether - two fowlers, a SXS, a H&R single, a blunderbuss, a .50 carbine, a GPR flinter, a revolver, a Trapper flint pistol, and an Underhammer pistol.
Six of those were bought in the last five years.
Pete

I have to refuse to answer as being north of Chicago but south of Milwaukee, if i disclosed the actual number of firearms I own and certain people found out. I would be accused of having an arsenal and plotting the overthrow of something and probably visited by different members of the law enforcement community even though everything I own is legal. It has happened before.

I always have an eye out,
I enjoy finding Ml rifles/pistols in various stages of distress or neglect, then giving them the care/repair they need and pass'm on to others.

It's a hobby that I tried to encourage in you as a new member with plans to build guns. It's a great way to develop some of the basic skills and understanding of the tools and labor needed.

Anyway's that said, there's an average of 2 that move through my hands each year. There's currently 12 assorted Revolvers, Pistols and Rifles in the house.

I've been thinking about thinning that herd, but I have either a need for or an attachment too those 12 and can't seem to part with'm, :idunno:

Can't say as I buy a lot of muzzleloaders. I have traded for quite a few though and built a few others. I am at the point where I have enough guns that I can't remember the proper sight picture for each one so I have eased off on acquiring anymore, unless I decide to do just one more trade.

Many Klatch

Well you do recall what happen the last time a bunch of musket owners got together and started stockpileing powder :haha: :rotf:

Okay, the best I can figure is in the last 45 years I've bought approx 17 bp firearms. That's about one every 2.66 years. Of course most were sold at some point. I also sold my modern firearms to finance a couple of flintlocks. Just as I sold most of the bp guns to buy modern. Don't need stuff like that anymore.

Two muzzleloaders in the last ten years.

But they were good ones. ;-)

One centerfire in that time - a surplus rifle. No other firearm activity except a .22LR conversion kit for a 1911.

I got over the busy buying and selling when I was younger. Used to add a new and drop an old gun (usualy a rifle) a month. Realized it was better to want what you have than have all you want.

Last count over sixteen black powder guns.I have not purchased any for several years. Most were bought on the cheap side from people who abused them and I bought them to fix up and resell. I have sold several since I last bought any and have two more "sold" as soon as the people come up with the money! :idunno: Opps I just remembered I did buy a Cherokee for the grandson this year. :hmm:

Seeing that I was taught in my younger days that a "gun" is by definition ship mounted, I don't have a single gun, not a one. No, Siree!

I was also taught the same thing. However, the word gun "comes from the Middle English word gonne or gunn and one of the accepted definitions is a portable firearm (as a rifle or handgun)"

I generally purchase one ML per year. It might be a kit, in-the-white or finished gun.

On the other hand, I do accumulate a lot of parts which might or might not become a ML someday... :grin:

CS

Except for the CVA 12 guage double that was given to me last year I haven't purchased any new muzzleloaders for over 5 years.

I've already got all I need for now.

Latest posts

Back