• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Proper Camo for deer huntin?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to wear my clothes that I hunted in to muck out a dairy barn, the cover scent worked great. Friends were reluctant to let me wear my boots in their trucks though.......

All I do is wash myself in scentless soap and just wash my outer wear in a scentless laundry soap. I use a cover scent and watch the wind. To each his own. It's not a ritual I undergo, just a precaution :hatsoff:

My grandfather killed at least 100 deer over the years. Without camo, fancy scent eliminating products or buck lures. The one thing he taught me about deer hunting is patience and movement, or the lack of movement to be correct, is what fills your license. Along with good shooting, of course.

jbg said:
My grandfather killed at least 100 deer over the years. Without camo, fancy scent eliminating products or buck lures. The one thing he taught me about deer hunting is patience and movement, or the lack of movement to be correct, is what fills your license. Along with good shooting, of course.

Thank you.
:hatsoff:

hobbles said:
Mornin Micanopy ,
I got a better one for your friends, They sell camo saddles for a horse for when you deer hunt,, A camo saddle?? For what?? A deer don't care bout a horse, I hunt by mine, Which ever blind I use, they come over and stay by me,, They tell me when and where a deer is comin from, Ya think if a deer can't sea the middle of a horse it will get closer? On horse back, back here I can get close enough to a deer to rope em,, A camo saddle,,, I love it,,

Ya gotta be kiddin me sir? Thats about as crazy as camo under wear, or even worse. LOL, gadgets and gimicks!

Mornin Micanopy
The boy that showed it to me bought it,, Don't ya just love it,,,
rotf.gif

I laughed out loud the first time I saw a camo flashlight. Must be so you can remain invisible while shining a light in their eyes. And, when it gets dark and you do need it, you can't find it yourself. :rotf:

Camo folding knives, camo arrow shafts, camo ATV's, camo pens, camo cigarette lighters.

No wonder non-hunters think we're dopes.

Be still dang it ! It was drilled into my head from day one of my hunting day's. I dont see any big deal about cammo heck if it helps a guy feel confident then all power to him. But the main thing is just like evryone else sed .Be still dang it!

First my Grand Pa, Then my Dad. And also having read someler threads here on ML it seems that alot of members beleave the same way From what I have read in the past.

. . . heck if it helps a guy feel confident then all power to him.

There a lot to that comment. I've hunted with guys who become absolutely PARALYZED in the presence of deer. Certainly you must be stealthy and conserve movement, but these guys freeze up and stare at the deer until it leaves.
If camo helps your confidence then it is worthwhile.

Chose when to shoot and do it. That was the hardest thing for me to learn about bowhunting from the ground. You can't "sneak" an arrow to full draw with a recurve or longbow. Get the bow/gun up and ready, but you should commit to the shot and fire within a second once you do. Otherwise, you shake apart.

NEVER look a deer in the eyes. NEVER, EVER.

Stumpkiller NEVER look a deer in the eyes. NEVER said:
I believe in that too...once a deep, staring eye contact is made with a deer, I think they get an awareness of a "living thing connection" at the other end, and the "launch sequence" begins!

Actually I've accumulated several pieces of camo clothes over the years...I've bought mil spec 6 pocket pants since the 60's to get the benefit of the big cargo pockets on the legs...they're either OD green or camo depending on when/where I bought them.

Then as I needed a couple of warm hunting shirts, I've found good quality 2XL-Tall heavy flannel shirts with large chest pockets at Cabelas so I get them there..they happen to be camo.

Regardless of what's underneath, I then use Blaze orange caps and vests...

Don't get me wrong, I do own some camo, but when hunting with black powder I usually wear traditional clothing, either buckskins or 1830's style, mostly for the same reason I wont use a modern inline. Just because I can.

Stumpkiller.jpg

deer1.jpg

Sometimes, just a neutral, soft outfit is enough.
deer2R.jpg

My two favorite camo patterns :redface: are Rockoflage and ASAT, both of which are discontinued - though I do believe someone has since picked up the ASAT pattern again. Most camo I see is way too dark for the twigs and leaves I hunt in.

The eightpoint I took last week came from maybe 80 yards to the left of the background in the second picture.

I would absolutely not dare deer hunt in brown linen or buckskins in my region during regular or m/l season. They mistake guys in orange vests and bluejeans for deer all too often. I'm having a red wool overcoat made for next year.

I've been wanting a Capote for years. Made from a grey with black blanket. Hood and all.
I can get the blanket and the pattern, but finding someone to make it (like mother in-law?) just ain't happening. Nobody sews anymore(?)!
"Store boughts" just don't fit right for hunting and such. Tight under the arms and in the back, too short, cape too short/small, etc. or the material way too thin.
Someday I'm going to take up sewing! :redface:

Ok, I will be the first I guess. I wear camo chemical weapons suits from the military, and I wear a camo head net with leaf punch outs also. The camo has a layer of charcoal built in to absorb chemical agents. It ends up also neutralizing my scent. The headnet hides where some one spilled something white in my beard that gets bigger each year. I killed my deer at 24 and 13 yards so far this year. A period outfit for gatherings is still an ongoing project here! Since I shaved my beard off this season, I guess I could go without the headnet, but it also breaks the wind very well!

I too wear a military chem suit. I am not sure how active and effective the charcoal is (the whole scent blok charcoal thing is another issue). I wear them because they were the right price, FREE, and because they are oversized. I can wear long underwear, thin pair of sweat pants, jeans and then the chem warfare pants. Sure keeps me warm on cold winer days.

I am a novice hunter bu my thoughts on scent are as follows. It is impossible to smell like nothing. Heck, how do you mask the smell of black powder! As everyone has mentioned, wind is the the major factor. Whether your wearing a fluroscent orange jumpsuit or the lastest Realtree camo pattern, if you're downwind, you're screwed.

I have the wife working on a wool capot in an olive green color and one day hope to use that. I know most guys hate wearing hunter orange. I really don't mind especially since my wife knitted me a voyager cap and made me a fleece wiskit both in hunter orange.

Back