• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pronunciation of "gonne"

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've seen some hand gonne videos where the guy pronounces it "gun-ay." Kinda hilarious. Do you say "The Rifle Shop-ay"? The Apothecary Shop-ay? He hath the wind-ay on his guts?" Let us go a-fyshing-ay?
The mispronouncers do it tentatively, just in case they are full of wind-ay. šŸ˜„

Last edited:
I spent some time googling to try to find a Middle English / archaic pronounciation of the word "gonne". Total frustration. Best I could come up with is that the proper modern English pronounciation is "gun".

isnā€™t the non silent E at the end of words in English almost all loan words from French or other Romance languages? It would depend on what language ā€œgonneā€ comes from. Wikipedia states that ā€œgunā€ in English and ā€œgonneā€ in Latin are around the same period, so thatā€™s confusing.
IMG_0464.png

I pronounce it hand-gone - just like the regular word "gone".

The 'e' is put there in Middle English so that the word is pronounced with a hard 'n' - as in 'gonn'. With Middle English still finding its way out of Norman French - see how Chaucer writes, for examples of both - without that double 'n' and its attendant 'e', it would be pronounced in the same way as the modern French for ham, 'jambon', with the silent/nasalised 'n'

The 'e' is put there in Middle English so that the word is pronounced with a hard 'n' - as in 'gonn'. With Middle English still finding its way out of Norman French - see how Chaucer writes, for examples of both - without that double 'n' and its attendant 'e', it would be pronounced in the same way as the modern French for ham, 'jambon', with the silent/nasalised 'n'
Makes sense to me. :thumb:

I've seen some hand gonne videos where the guy pronounces it "gun-ay." Kinda hilarious. Do you say "The Rifle Shop-ay"? The Apothecary Shop-ay? He hath the wind-ay on his guts?" Let us go a-fyshing-ay?
The mispronouncers do it tentatively, just in case they are full of wind-ay. šŸ˜„
Ide say' Gonne' like not here but No body alive could be sure or argue different .
Rudyard's guess

Back in 1974 , I met a , from then on , life long friend. Fred was a mixture of hill billy , Pa. German , spoke Pa. Dutcha/English mixed. I was amused and sorta challenged when he referred to a Pa. longrifle as a Rafflegonne. I wsn't sure if he had won the piece in a raffle , or was going to donate it to some fundraiser for an organization. My mental decoder finally kicked in , and bingo , he was speaking of a longrifle.

Back