• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Progressing to a flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks so much Benjamin this week will not go fast wenough. my goexc 3F will be here tomorrow ive got 6 yards of pillow ticking already washed twice and air dried nexct ill decide what lube method ive got about 20 lbs beeswax stored up along with olive oil and I do have about 15 tubes of bore butter I bought on clearance for 1.00 a tube

I understasnd it actually being the fact I shoot longbow, recurve, compounds and crossbows some days ill grab the crossbow, when sifting through the woods I may carry a recurve. some people are die hard traditionalists. I myself am more of a hunter and tend to use the easiest way to hunt with but dabble with pure tradition when I want my mind to wonder back to how our for fathers have done it. ive been successful both ways, however I do get a ribbing from my friends who are pure traditionalsists. what I noticed by watching them lead they once were like me who wanted a simple way of doing things so they grew to become more traditionalist if it makes any sense. whil ill never have a beef over anyone shooting caplock or flintlock nor pass any judgement I believe shoot what your heart tells you to shoot. I chose a flintlock as I know nothing about them other than what I read I am chosing to broaden my knowledge and experience. im sure there is a learning curve but im not afraid to learn or to change. in 3 years of being back with traditional muzzleloaders ive changed a lot and feel im better because I gave round balls black pouder a chance even have some dedicated roundball only guns now.

Sometimes (like in my case) it deals with what area in history you are interested in to some extent.

Still, I won't pretend to know that the vast majority here prefer flintlocks. I will fully admit they require tremendously more expertise and skill to operate than a cap gun, and that they hold a certain magical quality devoid in the percussion guns.

Many say they started on the cap guns but once they started to shoot flintlocks they completely ditched the cap guns, often selling them off. There has to be something to it. The flint guys are loud and proud, can't argue that.

Truthfully the recurve. The reason. Is I was horrible at first did not understand instinctive shooting. Since then I hunted with a receive more than anything for many reasons mainly I love the nostalgia part of Fred Bear I shoot the same bow as him both lefties both snap shoot

I never use it, I bought it on clearance for 1,00 a tube. I normally use beeswax with lard and dab of olive oil. for my conical lube. so ill come up with a lighter mixture to lube my pillow ticking . im planning cutting at the muzzle

If your new flintlock has a mediocre lock, you'll become intimately involved w/ it.

As to my preference of lock type....95% of my builds are flintlocks, but I do own 2 cappers for hunting along w/ a flinter.

Our elk camp of up to 6 persons had one flinter, one inline and the rest were cappers. The guns used were never discussed....because hunting was why we were there.

Also arising at 4AM and on our way an hour later and returning to camp in the dark isn't conducive to idle chatter.... Supper and to bed.....Fred

Now you went and done it!!! Once the rocklock fascination sets in your collection will expand exponentionally.

Crewdawg445 said:
Spit, free all day everyday.

:thumbsup: ...It's still my #1 favorite.

I think a lot of people that don't like spit use spit incorrectly, I think they actually try to "spit" on the patch rather than placing the patch on tongue and closing their mouth until it absorbs the desired amount.

Howie,

I think it's "Regressing" to a flintlock. :grin: :grin:

Hope you have fun with it! Remember, ain't really anything hard about it, it's 18th century technology after all!

Latest posts

Back