• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

problems at the range (help!)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt85 said:
i sent an email to dixie after i posted my update.

yes, i tried a nipple pick, a pipe cleaner, needle nose tweezers, and even computor duster (canned air). if the vent is getting clogged its getting clogged in an area you cant get to with conventional tools. also, if a clogged vent is the problem then its getting clogged way too fast! (every 2-3 shots)

I have seen where there was a small amount of flash from the machining process left behind in the flash channel,

would take a long drill bit to clear it.
:hmm:

Are you doing a "quick in and out" or are you doing a "quick in, let it soak for 5-10 seconds, then a slow out" followed by a dry wiping patch?

was doing a quick in and out after each shot.

there is no way this gun should be this picky, in its current condition i could never use this gun for deer! heck just to get it to fire more then 2 shots i need 100% ideal conditions, this means a full set of tools, cleaning supplies and a bench to work off of.

there is no way this gun should be this picky, in
Yeah, agreed. Something's going on.
The first thing I would have done is change the nipple,,
but I already mentioned that.
My guess is it was fired the first time before the fire channel was completely clean, it's now fouled with hard deposit.
Cleaning the hard deposit has been covered several times too.
Good luck freind,

i told dixie about the problem and directed them to this thread for information.

they have responded saying they are sending me a new spit fire nipple free of charge and if this doesnt solve the issue they want me to send it back.

im always fond of good customer service. :grin:

When I do a moist swab between shots I push slowly down then after 2 or 3 full barrel strokes, judging by how slick the RR slides; I then pull the RR out almost all the way rapidly as I can. This lets a jet of air rush through the nipple and push out any fouling maybe dislodged. A cap fired off before loading then blows out the flash channel.

Fred_D said:
A cap fired off before loading then blows out the flash channel.

2 caps per ball? way too expensive!

i use comptor duster which blasts air threw the vent channel. ive also had to use a CO2 ball puller a few times (when i cant get er to fire). if the CO2 ball puller didnt push out what ever is blocking the channel then its more then just some crud left over from shooting.

Matt85 said:
if the CO2 ball puller didnt push out what ever is blocking the channel then its more then just some crud left over from shooting.

Here,

Let me mention this little gem one more time just in case you missed it the first time

I have seen where there was a small amount of flash from the machining process left behind in the flash channel,

would take a long drill bit to clear it.

What this means is that there very well is a piece of material obstructing the flash channel, this material I call flash will look something like the curl that comes off of a piece of steel when using a drill bit.

This can be easily fixed with a length of drill rod with the appropriate twist drill welded to the end.

Good Luck

:hmm:

if its not the nipple i believe the "flash left in the channel" theory is probably correct. however, i have no idea how i could find it or get to it since i have confirmed that the channel is at least clear from "right to left" using a pipe cleaner as a feeling tool. aside from a pipe cleaner i have no idea how to look into the flash channel.

the debree would need to be in the "powder chamber" or just behind it where the flash channel turns 90 degrees. (this is assuming that the flash channel has a 90 degree turn in it)

Agreed,

Powder chamber/flash channel. All the same in my book, probably because I don't shoot anything with one of them.

The majority of the Italian imports are assembled and then the important and appropriate holes are drilled out, eliminates the need to precisely "clock" the openings to allow proper functioning.

You will not be able to see down into the chamber but I am betting that thats where and what the problem is.

Not really, in the grand scheme of things.
How much gas did you spend to get to the range?
How many caps are spent on failure to fire?
How much was spent that day if you shoot 4 rounds and need to drive home with a wet-one that needs extracted at home?
Didn't that CO2 discharger cost about $1.25 per cartridge?
How much single malt did it take after a screwed up day at the range?

7 cents a cap is nothing.

I guess maybe I'm just fortunate. I have been shooting cap locks for 8 years now, there was only one time I got a misfire. That was when I decided to use a brush to remove fouling during the shooting session. Never do that again. I only wipe when it gets hard to load.Some sessions that means never. When I do,I use one spit dampened patch followed by one dry patch. I use crisco-beeswax lube. I clean with soap and water, dry the barrel with patches and then oil it. Blow one cap before I load. Just about all of the posts I read on this subject seem to be resultant of over-complicating the process. My motto has always been "simple, yet effective". :thumbsup:

Fred_D said:

How much was spent that day if you shoot 4 rounds and need to drive home with a wet-one that needs extracted at home?

caps are VERY hard to get ahold of where i live. onley stores that carry them dont stock them well enough so they are out 90% of the time. Cabelas is the worst offender, they order maby 2000 caps a month and run out in less then 48 hours.

Matt85 said:
Fred_D said:

caps are VERY hard to get ahold of where i live. onley stores that carry them dont stock them well enough so they are out 90% of the time. Cabelas is the worst offender, they order maby 2000 caps a month and run out in less then 48 hours.

Some stores will let you order items, including caps, primer or powder on line and do a store pick up don't get stuck with shipping charges. Sportsmans warehouse does. Maybe worth checking into.

Back