• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Price of powder in 18th century

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene L said:
As for guineas, there was a class thing going on. You paid your landlord in pounds, your tailor in guineas.
And I think you paid the maker of your fowling piece in guineas, as well.

Yes, and for horses and things like that. A "gentleman's" way of paying. I think guineas were demoted in the 70s to a Lb, or 20 shillings, but still referred to as guineas. This might be wrong; I'm pulling it from watching "Poirot" on TV.

Since British currency was decimalised on 15th February 1971, the Guinea has no longer been accepted as legal tender. The term is still used in certain circles such as horse racing to describe values equivalent to one pound and one shilling, or £1.05 in modern currency. As it is no longer classed as legal tender, the Guinea differs from other British bullion coins such as Britannias and Sovereigns in that it is not exempt from Capital Gains Tax.

Until recently, many upper-crust London lawyers specified their per diem fees in guineas.

tac

We in Australia now have the guinea thing going on with the dollar.
What should be costing a dollar now costs $1.10 because of GST, ten percent goods & services tax.
O.

A couple of weeks ago, I visited Fort Nelson, one of a string of fortresses built on Portsdown Hill, the high ground overlooking the naval base of Portsmouth on the south coast of England. The fort has been restored and now houses part of the Royal Armouries' collection of artillery through the ages.

These forts built in the 1860s were designed not to concentrate fire onto attacking warships in the harbour below as I had thought, but to guard against a landward invasion by the tricky French who, it was thought, would land down the coast, take the high ground and then lob shells into the naval dockyards below. As they never fired a shot in anger and because to the public their guns were 'pointing the wrong way', these forts have since become known as 'Palmerston's Follies.'

On the tour the young woman guide took us into one of the powder stores and pointed out a stack of powder barrels each of which was marked '100lbs'. When I told her that at the present day price that I have to pay for the cheapest black powder, each full barrel would have cost in the region of £2,000 ($2,700) she was shocked.

No wonder live firings at the fort are few and far between.

It was all quite straight forward.

There were 1,008 farthings to the guinea or 4 crowns to the pound or 10 florins to the pound.

So if I give you one pound and a crown what change will I get if you price the widget you are selling at one guinea, three groats and one penny, three farthings?

What could be simpler?

I understand that, what's the problem?

"For as what is conceived, is conceived by conception, and what is conceived by conception, as it is conceived, so is in conception; so what is understood is understood by understanding, and what is understood by understanding, as it is understood, so is in the understanding. What can be more clear than this?" St. Anselm, 1033 -1109

Spence

Latest posts

Back