• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Practical guide to flintlock shooting/hunting bag set up.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amikee

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was just interested in what you mighty hunters and shooters are using for a day or two as going hunting or shooting, and how does it look and what works for you. Perchaps some key ingredients to what a new shooter may need instead of managing 11 lbs into his/her bag.
This looks like it could be a sticky added to flintlock tips perchaps.
You ca ln divide this in sections, or however you choose to.

Have fun!

And they include:

Priming:
Is it from the powder horn?
Dedicated priming horn?
Priming tool/flask?

Ball storage:
Loose/bag/container

Patching:
Patchbox
Dedicated material somewhere in the bag
Tin box

Patch knife (if cutting yourself)
Is it on your neck?
Bag?
Belt?
Strap?

Vent pick:
On the rifle?
Bag strap?

Powder measures:
Horn?
Brass?
Mounted as tip of the horn?
On your neck
On the bag strap

Anything else that will come to your mind including flint and iron fire starters, cleaning kits, first aid kits, peanut butter and jelly sandwich and whatever else you carry for a day or two of the shooting trip.

Mighty hunter? Not hardly. But I haven't had to go hungry many winters. ;-)

Here's my shot bag contents.

HPIM0448.jpg

HPIM0440.jpg

25 balls in a leather bag and fixings to shoot and clean the rifle. Moose Snot in the little tin. The patching in the small waxed deerskin bag is pre-lubed by dipping twice in Moose Juice and drying between.

I have since added a small, flat priming horn (Thanks Horner75!)

DSCN0145.jpg

And I also tuck a waxed cow's knee in my haversack for rain or snow.

HPIM0381.jpg

On my horn strap is a three-shot loading block.

Measure and pick hangs from the neck of my horn.

IM000642.jpg

I'm real basic. My bag has a small horn inside, roughly the size of half a banana. There's a loading block for 3 balls. There are another 3 or 4 balls loose in the bottom of the bag. Vent pick and spare flint are in the patch box on my rifle along with a handful of spare lubed patches. If I feel like carrying a sheath knife, that's in the bag too.

Dat's it. Don't need anything else for hunting.

I prime from the main horn & have an antler mesure tied to my bag strap. in the bag i keep a flint wallet that holds 3 flints and a couple extra leathers, a few strips of patch material,some deer tallow, a ball bag and a vent pick. I have a small pocket in my bag i keep a few loose balls in so i can get to em quick for reloadin. I also keep a strip of patch material tied to the bag strap & most of the time use my belt knife to cut patches.

Powder Horn with 3Fg, large, simple, tinted brown. Prime from same horn.
(a white powder horn where I hunt will draw fire from yahoos even though I am wearing orange.)

Skinning knife worn in neck sheath.

Patch knife worn on bag strap. Patch knife has a modified butt to allow initial seathing of the patched round ball.

If I need to knap the edge of the flint I use the back or spine of the patch knife.

Patches are prelubed pillow ticking cut at the muzzle.

Bullets, about five loose in a small pocket within the bag, the rest in a small dear hide pouch.

Powder measure is from a turkey wing bone, on a lanyard attached to the bag strap.

Turn screw is in the bag, as well as a brass pin for pricking the touch hole.

A small drawstring bag holds a cleaning lanyard, tow, a worm, extra flints, a container of lock grease, a tool for extracting a stuck wooden ramrod, a main spring vise, and piece of leather.

A sharpening stone for the knives.

A small tomahawk with a sheath rides in a loop on the back of the bag.

When I do historic demonstrations I add a lead ladle, a bag mold, a turkey call from a turkey wing bone, and a repro compass/sundial.

LD

I don't carry much...it all fits into a pocket on an upland game vest I use as a hunting equipment vest for everything like food, water, flashlight, raingear, hat, gloves, etc)
ML items are:
A few PRB or Shot reloads
Short Starter
Cleaning / seating jag
Ball puller / Patch retriever
Spare vent liner / wrench
Spare flints / leathers
T-handle
Pan brush / jaw screw bar (shirt pocket)
Pan primer (shirt pocket)
A few pint size Ziploc bags holding what I call Field Cleaning Kits...I thoroughly clean after every shot, stuff the mess back in its bag, and pack it out of the woods...cleaning kit contents are:
5 wet cleaning patches in 2”x3” ziploc
5 Dry patches (loose)
1 Lubed patch in 2” x 3” Ziploc
1 sealed foil wrap alcohol wipe
1 Q-tip
1 Pipe cleaner

What the heck!!! Nobody said anything about a most important thing in your kit......TP. A man's got to have TP in his kit unless he's constipated or are silly enough to actually believe that leaves are a reasonable substitute. :shake: I have a small roll of TP from which I removed the cardboard core and then mashed flat. It fits right in my back pocket. I also carry a small package of what I call "baby butt wipes" which I use to clean my hands. Maybe I am a sissy but I am just not primitive enough to wipe my butt and then eat a sandwich without cleaning my hands first. :barf: Just sayin'.... :doh:

Aside from the lack of TP, the field kits that y'all have shown are darned nice and well thought out. Obviously not the work of inexperienced folks. :thumbsup:

The short answer is that I carry as little as possible, but everything I anticipate needing. It's about weight management as much as anything.

When I go grouse hunting, I carry enough for 6 shots, (plus more caps than that if I'm shooting a cap lock) though the most I've ever gotten off is 3 shots in an outing. Call it optimistic planning!

I carry a quart of water too. That's heavier than the rest of the stuff combined.

Right now I have about 12 prb's, a short starter, pick, small primer, patches and a small wallet with all the tools plus extra flints. I also have a small tin with some moose snot as well as a cows knee. I have a knife sewed on to the back of my pouch and an antler powder measure tied to my powder horn strap.

(a white powder horn where I hunt will draw fire from yahoos even though I am wearing orange.)
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Spray paint that white horn camo!

When I was a kid 50 years ago, I saw a milk cow one deer season which bore in large, painted letters, "COW"

Guess times never change. lol

In Deerwood MN, during hunting season they put a large orange jacket and hat on the roadside sculpture that's about 20' high near the edge of town.

We had a farmer that used to do that. Used florescent paint and sprayed cow on both sides of all of them.

I understand why too. Had a guy take a shot at me one year from inside the tent he was sleeping in. The tent was right under his tree stand. Next to the jeep he drove in there and in front of the tent was a smoking campfire.

Latest posts

Back