• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powder Preference Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plenty (including me) use the same powder for both prime and the main charge. Some prefer a finer prime. A search of the Forum will show you many discussions on the topic.

Me too. You can shoot 4 f and film it with high speed photography and it is faster then 3 f in the pan. While it is faster it takes place at speeds a human can not notice. 2f is a little slower in a fusil. After a day shooting it you wont notice that. Its about the time from trigger pull to frizzen smack in a big fusil lock. 2 or three I prime from my horn.

I ran through the full spectrum of powders on my Bess- both main charge and prime. The gun really preferred 1f with ball and with shot. Tried using 1f in the pan too, and it works just fine. I figure there's probably a very good reason those old Bess locks had such big pans. Never seen a single historic reference for the Bess being primed with anything but a splash from the main charge.

Since then I've experimented with using powder from the same source as my main charge to prime in all my guns.

Call me and insensitive sort, but I just can't tell the difference from priming with 4f in any of them. On top of that, 4f is much more prone to misfires without a whole lot of prime changes in my wet climate. End of story. I gave all my 4f to a bud who feels differently, and we're both happy.

I find it easier just to carry one horn, flask or can of powder and find it works just as well, near as I can tell. It is also HC. :grin:

I have tried it with ffffg, fffg, and ffg in the pan, but I always revert back to ffffg. I just carry a small priming horn or flask in addition to my day horn for hunting.

Too, I seem to get better accuracy with fffg than ffg regardless of .45, .50, .54, .58, or .62 (all rifled). Yes, I do shoot ffg in most of them because I have some to burn, but will only be buying fffg in the future. Swiss? back off one granulation to ffg.

I've not tried Null B (Swiss) or 7FA in the pan. I might try the former when I find a source.

Although I do sometimes use 4F powder in the pan, the only reason I do is once upon a time I bought a pound of it.

Like many, I read about the wonders of using 4F to prime with.

How the gun would almost fire before the trigger was pulled.

How it would ignite even if the lock was poor and the flint would make few sparks....

Then I bought some and tried it out.

It seemed to work just like the 3Fg I had been using for years.

I can't tell a difference in speed.
A poor lock or flint that doesn't throw a good number of sparks still won't light the powder.

All in all, I was rather disappointed.

Except for use in little .32 caliber C&B pistols, most people agree it burns to fast for a main powder charge (although Hodgdon says it can be used for a starter load in small amounts under their synthetic powders).

With my new found knowledge I would recommend to a person buying powder for a flintlock, forget the 4F. Buy a extra pound of 3Fg. :)

You guys all more or less confirmed my though process. I would rather just carry 1 type of powder for both instances to keep it simple.

I've been using 2Fg in the barrel, and 4fg in the pan for ever. Lately I've been considering simplifying my gear. And I'm thinking seriously about forgetting the priming horn. I may make the switch this coming week end.

When I tried using 3f from my horn when my primer flask ran out it worked OK. The issue I had with that process is I couldn't control the flow properly and I got powder in areas other than the pan. When ignited, I felt it could char the wood more than I expected, at least I was worried it would. I rather use a primer horn and keep the powder in the pan only.

FFFg works fine for me in the pan. no problems with ignition. But when the powder in the horn is getting low, it seems a pain in the A to shake out what is wanted, where it is needed and not have it all over. That is when I like the FFFFg in the little charger. Neat,acurate and thrifty. Plus I have a can of FFFFg that will last forever if I don't use it for something. Would I run out and buy a # for charging the pan? No, Would I take another as a gift like the last? Oh yeah? I think I would have to have another use for the FFFFg.Are there any?.
RFMcD

At least for .50 and below, 3F in the main charge as well as the pan should be completely satisfactory. It has been that way with me for the last 49 years. :thumbsup:

Back