• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A Whimsical Primer Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up this unique shaped horn from the pet store several weeks ago and put it away for later. Since finishing the Sea Service pistol I remembered the horn and how it was “shark” shaped and thought it would make a perfect primer for the finished pistol. Sea pistol, Shark, see where I’m going with this, lol. The spout being long and narrow is perfect for getting to the pan but a plug that small at 5/64” would be very problematic. So I came up with this spring loaded “valve” made out of a hacksaw blade. It works really well and distributes a good amount of powder with with several pushes of the valve or hold it open and give it a few taps. Of course I had to make a “tail fin” for the fill port. Which was made from a metal wall outlet cover riveted to a 1/4x20 bolt. The wood plug is left over walnut from the pistol kit and sealed with BLO. Just need to install some pins and she’s done. Kinda worked out well that the other side of the valve compliments the eye. Almost like I planned it, lol! Sometimes you get lucky and it just works out!

IMG_6459.jpeg

IMG_6461.jpeg

Back