• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

poly wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wet Willie said:
Poly wads: tried some shot cups in my 20ga, left a residue in the bore very hard to clean.

Also tried over-powder wads cut from ice-cream pail lids in both pistol and rifle. All left a residue that seemed like smeared plastic in the bore.

I'd say don't use poly wads in BP.

All plastic is not the same. The plastic in an ice cream bucket is not the same plastic as the frame of a Glock pistol. Plastic shotgun wads are not meant for blackpowder and those plastic wads will leave residue if fired with blackpowder. The plastic of the polycups is designed to withstand the blackpowder just like the plastic sabots we are not allowed to talk about but which are fired by the millions with no problems. I agree that they are needlessly expensive but they do have a purpose. They are specifically for use with Hornady's "hardball" for people who want deeper penetration than they get with soft lead. Not for plinking or target shooting but if you want more penetration from your .50 caliber a package of those Hornady hardballs may be a relatively cheap and easy fix.

All plastic is not the same. The plastic in an ice cream bucket is not the same plastic as the frame of a Glock pistol.

It's not! :confused:

There goes another one of my great ideas out the window. :redface:

I was just given a bag of black poly-wads, and I'm glad I found this thread so I can just pitch the bag in the waste receptacle

I am going to address the elephant in the room no one else notices, Poly Patches, Poly Wads? "PLASTIC FOULING?" Then when someone just a few shades of left field address the SAME EXACT "PLASTIC FOULING" from say "Power Belts" they do have a "NYLON SKIRT" which is just plastic or poly by another name. Hey um um hold on How about that sabot OOOOOPPPPSS!!!! I am so sorry excuse me I was kicked in the head a lot as a kid MOSTLY for pointing out the OBVIOUS others refuse to see or turn a blind eye too because well its different......After all it aint none of my business.

Last edited:
Well ya know I can not help but set something right, there is no dangerous pressure with the old poly patch! The danger came from using the smaller balls with it period! I shot them for the years they were on the market in a t/c 50 cal. You could not beat the accuracy the seal was perfect as the powder side would feather into the grooves and you could find them turn em over and use it again. I would use a .500 ball and the patch would squeeze over the ball and hold fast even in cold weather hunted many winters in northern Wisconsin never had a problem never moved a ball. Yes they needed a short starter, but I could get 4 shots with the same poi #5 would wander.
coupe

Back