• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

point blankets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskey

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that Witney mills are no longer making point blankets, does anyone know of a source for good quality, 100% wool, historicaly accurate point blankets?

Pendleton made the two versions that they used for the Lewis and Clark Voyage of Discovery stuff over the last couple years - a white with dark stripe and a rust with dark stripe. Crazy Crow used to carry them, but now you need to go directly to Pendleton.

Rob Stone makes great and accurate reproductions. Check with Jim Kimpell of High Horse Trading. Very accurate/documented blankets - and good using blankets ta boot.

I have not checked, but I heard that Wilde Weavery is supposed to be making a point "trade blanket". A check of their web site would tell.

But you really should check with Northwest Traders. Their web site still shows pics of the Witneys. But they have developed a new source/supply of VERY GOOD blankets over the last year and a half. Very good. I saw their new line last June at the Prairie du Chien WI rendezvous. I was impressed enough that I went back the next day to do a little trading/shopping for several blankets - a white with many narrow red stripes up it Lachine blanket, and an Ingenious blanket (white with wide light blue and thin red stripe at each end). But you really need to see them in person. Give them a call.

Hope this helps.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

I've had good luck on EBAY with both Whitney and Hudson Bay blankets, just have to be careful and read the discriptions carefully and deal with a seller with realy good feedback and lots of it.

Buying wool blankets on Ebay is best in summer... wonder why? :haha:

I use "Red wool blanket" or whatever color for search terms. I usually have to add "-saddle -throw" and whatever goofy things pop up like "-wiccan -crystal -herbaltherapy" :youcrazy:

Stone's blankets are awesome. There are still some Czech candy stripe blankets in the stores. About $100 and nice quality but the Adventurers of England are cracking down on copyright issues over the candy stripe pattern, and now are going after the term "point blanket," claiming that they like invented them. Funny thing, a article in their own magazine proves they didn't. :blah:

Old Pilgrim said:
I've had good luck on EBAY with both Whitney and Hudson Bay blankets, just have to be careful and read the discriptions carefully and deal with a seller with realy good feedback and lots of it.
I think you are lucky to get bargains for blankets on ebay....I never seem to be able to get anything at a decent price- even old moth eaten point blankets I want for rifle cases.Sure don't want to cut up a good blanket for that purpose!

whiskey,
Google "Pendleton Wool Blankets"...Might
find something to suit you.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Sir Michael said:
Woolrich also makes period style blankets.

Uh, yeah, they have the current contract with the Hudsons Bay Company. :haha:

whiskey said:
Now that Witney mills are no longer making point blankets, does anyone know of a source for good quality, 100% wool, historicaly accurate point blankets?
Whiskey, THIS IS VERY DISTRESSING NEWS! :shocked2:
can you elaborate a bit? I haven't needed a new blanket in a few years so haven't kept up. is the mill shutting down or just discontinuing that line?

Yes, I have found ebay to be great for this, I use the "Canada Only" search. Besides Hudson's Bay blankets, try "point blanket" or "trapper blanket".

Be advised that as far as I can tell, Witney made the same blankets (more or less) for the old Eaton's and Woodward's stores.

The doors are closed and the employees are out of work. This happened last year I should have bought on from track when they had stock.

Yes, check with the Amana Mills at the Amana Colony at Amana, Iowa. They make some nice wool blankets and have since before the Civil war. In fact they made blankets for both sided during the war. I have some of their blankets.

Back