• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pocket Pick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PreserveFreedom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thompson/Center makes a pick for inlines that has a brass body and a retractable wire. I was thinking this would be great for a pick for flintlocks and older if you are looking for something you can carry in your pocket without getting poked on accident. I think I paid about $6USD for mine at WalMart.

NOTE: This is not period correct. :p

7244Medium.jpg

October Country has one that is a screw-apart brass tube with a wire attached to the short end. I have one with an antler tip glued on for a handle.
A couple companies also sell a nipple wrench with a pick inside.

The wire on any of these may be a little on the thin side for use as a vent pick in a flinter but they might work.

And wat period is correct for getting poked accidentially? :wink:
Neat gadget but not all ml accessories have to be made in a factory and sold by Wal-Mart.
A homemade pick kept in yer shooting bag or dangling from the strap will serve ye well. Even with the occasional poke.

A vent pick does NOT need a sharp point to work. Round the end with a file, or abrasive, and you lessen the chance of being injured. :hmm: Put a couple of holes in your bag's strap, and you have a great place to keep the pick safely.

I've used a small brass safety pin for years on my cap guns,each one has one attached to it's sling

If it works for you, fine. I would round of that point on the pin, however. I have suffered enough Jabs over my life that I am in no need of experiencing another. As I said above, I like to file two flats opposite each other on the end of my picks, so I have a small "paddle" to move powder in my flat faced, breech plug flintlock.

Back