• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Planning First Build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cratwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Happy New Year!!!
I am a complete newbie/pilgrim in the build department. I am planning on building a GPR. I am a union boilermaker, and weld and work in metal every day. Wood I think I can I can take my time and do things right.
The problem I have is what hand tools am I going to need. I have bandsaws, power tools, welding machines etc. but smaller hand tools....could really use some input here...

Thanks in advance

Larry

Not much. Mostly abrasives, stains, wood fillers, and stock finish. Then decide on what kind of finish you want on the metal parts.

You will need screwdrivers to put all the screws into the lock and stock. Wait until you get the kit, and lay out the parts before running out to buy new screwdrivers, however.

You may need a couple of chisels to remove a bit of wood in both the barrel and tang mortises, and in the lock mortise. But, a skilled wood worker can use a pocket knife or Exacto Knife to do that work, too. These are pretty straight forward, sand 'em, stain 'em, finish 'em, and put them together kind of kits.

Expect the front sight to be much higher than you need. When you finally work up a load that shoots into a small group at 50 yards, consistently, Then you can FILE down the front sight to zero the sights for whatever distance you want. A DRAW FILE will be needed to do this work properly.

Some people draw file and polish the flats on the factory barrel, and polish the lock before finishing them.

Basically you need a couple screwdrivers, a good exacto knife, a 8" mill file, some sand paper, a drill & some small bits, a table to work on, some browning solution & about 16 hrs of time.
:thumbsup:

Please correct me if I'm wrong as I've never built one of them, but I think I've heard that the screws for the escutcheons are very brittle and can break off when installing them. You might want to invest in some new single slotted steel screws for the escutcheons. Muzzleloader Builders Supply probably has them.

That is why I recommended the small drill bits.

As with any small screw made of soft iron or brass, predrill the hole to the correct size prior to putting the screw in, & put a little bar soap on the screw threads usually will make the application successful. You definitely cannot horse them. :shake:

I'm building my first BP rifle now. Never shot BP before but I decides to as a family testiment.

I've built some Race guns, Bench guns, AR's and fiddled with 1911's for years but never built from this level. I ordered the components from Track of the Wolf as a pre inlet stock.

I will say it has been very rewarding so far and I have already ordered the components for a second one. At this point I have all of the components together and I will be starting on the butt plate and Ram Rod holders next, then to the finishing of the surfaces.

I have used very little but did buy a 1/8" straight chisel and I found out quickly that the key is to sharpen it frequently. Other than that I use a med toothed large file fairly often. Outside of these just common household tools are needed.

I hope you get started soon and enjoy it as much as I have.

Latest posts

Back