• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pinned barrel cleaning

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koauke

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well I had bought a Lyman trade rifle and the barrel would not fit as the the drum would not fit into the lock plate. So I exchanged it for another however the wood that meets the top front edge of the lock plate has been sanded down too much so the metal and wood don't meet. The metal on the hammer is uneven where it strikes the cap as well. It's bad enough to bother me. It seems to me that this issue would have been very apparent during assembly at the factory. I'm a little dissapointed.

I'm going to call Lyman and see what they say, but I'm considering just returning it and buying the pedersoli Kentucky from cabelas. Suggestions?

So to my actual topic question. How much more difficult is it to clean a pinned barrel? Is there an issue with never removing the barrel?

A search of past & still current topics will give you lots & lots of reading on removing and cleaning techniques used by various forum members.

The short answer:

Removing a pinned barrel is not difficult but must be done carefully & following proper procedure or damage will result.

It is not necessary to remove the barrel (pinned or otherwise) to give the bore a good cleaning.

Some members simply plug the vent or nipple & fill the barrel, some use a flushing tube (either down the plugged barrel or attached to the vent or nipple with a clamp & O ring - TOW sells a kit) some remove the barrel & put the breech end in a bucket. All of these methods work. A good cleaning, a good drying and a good preservative will keep any barrel happy. There is no "only way" unless you want to consider prompt & thorough as the "only way".

Unless something has drastically changed the Lyman Trade Rifle has/had a single key (not pinned), is a half-stock and they all had hooked snail breeches, not drums.

Are we talking about a Lyman here??

When I clean my Ped. Jaeger, I lean the gun against something w/ the muzzle pointing up. Turn the gun so the barrel is on the underside (water will not run up into the stock/barrel channel). Add a hose (auto parts store bought) to the nipple, and clean away. Try not to splash too much water or windshield washer fluid or windex around too much (used all at one time or another). No problemo.

Latest posts

Back