• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 1858 C&B - Painful to shoot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I really like my cap and ball Remington replica but, every time I fire it, the trigger guard hits the middle knuckle of my middle finger in recoil. Last time at the range I got a nasty blister (yes, too dumb or determined ....maybe both, to quit). Now, every time I think about taking it out for a range session my knuckle starts to ache just thinking about it. :( I thought about wearing a glove but, anything thick enough protect my knuckle would be too thick for safe handling. I also considered wearing a golf glove but, it may be too thin ?

Anyone else had this problem? If so, have you figured out how to avoid it ?

BTW .... I have a .45 Colt conversion cylinder (holds 6 rds) and it works great but, the problem occurs with either smokeless cartridge or BP.

Last edited:
Brownells used to sell a leather padded ring like devise you slipped over your finger for just such a problem. I bought one, never used it and can't find it. I couldn't find them on their website just now. Possibly you could make something, cut a couple of fingers off a leather glove and put one over the other.

I really like my cap and ball Remington replica but, every time I fire it, the trigger guard hits the middle knuckle of my middle finger in recoil. Last time at the range I got a nasty blister (yes, too dumb or determined ....maybe both, to quit). Now, every time I think about taking it out for a range session my knuckle starts to ache just thinking about it. :( I thought about wearing a glove but, anything thick enough protect my knuckle would be too thick for safe handling. I also considered wearing a golf glove but, it may be too thin ?

BTW .... I have a .45 Colt conversion cylinder (holds 6 rds) and it works great but, the problem occurs with either smokeless cartridge or BP.
What kind of load are your shooting? Might be time to lighten things up a bit, at least until you get comfortable with the gun.

Let me guess--are you holding high enough up on the grip that you can wrap your pinky around the grip? I started out shooting my Uberti Remington that way, and I was getting my knuckle whacked, too.

The short grip is designed for the pinky to go under the grip. Holding it that way, I don't get my knuckle whacked anymore, and I run 30gr of Pyrodex P.

I had the same problem. You have to hold the grip with your pinky finger below the grip frame. It takes getting used to but it can be done. The problem is even worse if you have big hands. Ask me how I know. You can tailor your loads too. I shoot 25 gr. Triple 7 FFFG with a .454 round ball. No problems. I have the same conversion cylinder and I light load for it too. That unmentionable caliber is crazy expensive if you buy factory ammo.

Let me guess--are you holding high enough up on the grip that you can wrap your pinky around the grip? I started out shooting my Uberti Remington that way, and I was getting my knuckle whacked, too.

The short grip is designed for the pinky to go under the grip. Holding it that way, I don't get my knuckle whacked anymore, and I run 30gr of Pyrodex P.
I learned to shoot all revolvers that way so, I naturally grip it with pinky finger under the the grip. I was gifted a cartridge conversion cylinder for my latest birthday and loaded a smokeless cartridge recipe that develops 700 to 800 FPS. One would think that load would be safe with mild recoil. It is safe but, has had no affect on recoil. :(.

I learned to shoot all revolvers that way so, I naturally grip it with pinky finger under the the grip. I was gifted a cartridge conversion cylinder for my latest birthday and loaded a smokeless cartridge recipe that develops 700 to 800 FPS. One would think that load would be safe with mild recoil. It is safe but, has had no affect on recoil. :(.
With what I'm guessing was a 240gr bullet on that cartridge, I can see why it still had some good recoil even at about 800 FPS.

Grab a few bandaids and wrap them around the guard until you get enough cushion. I’ve never had this type of problem with my 58, but just a little cushion should help you.

Or just put a bandaid on your finger where it rubs.

I have the same problem and it’s not curable by the pinky grip when you have xxl or xxxl sized hands. There’s just not enough room between the trigge guard and the front of the grip frame. Remington recognized the issue as is evident when you compare the 1858, 1875 and 1890 grip frames side by side. Colt 1851/1873 grips are better but still small for my hands. The 1860 frame is very good. Best of all is the Ruger Super Blackhawk in a stock style grip.

I made a set of grips that are longer at the bottom - they cover the frame and extend the length by quite a bit. That allows me to hold the gun lower and get out of the way of the trigger guard.
Someone should make and sell grips like that, they could make a million bucks - well, ok maybe a couple hundred bucks.

I made a set of grips that are longer at the bottom - they cover the frame and extend the length by quite a bit. That allows me to hold the gun lower and get out of the way of the trigger guard.
Someone should make and sell grips like that, they could make a million bucks - well, ok maybe a couple hundred bucks.
I tried to get a T-grip to fit but the one I have is an aluminum model and I didn’t want to modify the thing… I do think it would help.

I guess back in the day, Remington figured people with big hands would just deal with it through the 6 or maybe 12 shots that the piece would likely be used for .

Recreational shooting of repros brings out the flaws of these old guns
I think people are gripping the guns too loosely in many cases. I wear a XXL glove and can palm a basketball, but I don't get my knuckle rapped. Single-action revolvers and muzzle-loading pistols don't require a firm grip to minimize muzzle rise and reliable cycling of the action as is the case with unmentionables, so that can lead to habituating a looser grip when someone shoots these kinds of weapons to the near exclusion of all others.

I had the same problem. You have to hold the grip with your pinky finger below the grip frame. It takes getting used to but it can be done. The problem is even worse if you have big hands. Ask me how I know. You can tailor your loads too. I shoot 25 gr. Triple 7 FFFG with a .454 round ball. No problems. I have the same conversion cylinder and I light load for it too. That unmentionable caliber is crazy expensive if you buy factory ammo.
the best solution is get rid of that knuckle buster and go to Colt Open Tops with a grip Sam Colt designed to fit a human hand.
I shot a Remington one time and could not flip a right handed bird for a week.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk

the best solution is get rid of that knuckle buster and go to Colt Open Tops with a grip Sam Colt designed to fit a human hand.
I shot a Remington one time and could not flip a right handed bird for a week.
Respectfully submitted
Bunk
I just can’t imagine going a whole week without flipping a right handed bird! Dang!

I think people are gripping the guns too loosely in many cases. I wear a XXL glove and can palm a basketball, but I don't get my knuckle rapped. Single-action revolvers and muzzle-loading pistols don't require a firm grip to minimize muzzle rise and reliable cycling of the action as is the case with unmentionables, so that can lead to habituating a looser grip when someone shoots these kinds of weapons to the near exclusion of all others.
I don’t know about all that. Many of the guns we don’t talk about here require a pretty firm grip and recoil energy is probably double or triple that of the cap gun. The only reason they’re comfortable to shoot is grip design. Have folks found work arounds? Yep. Some have. I just mostly shoot guns that don’t require them. Great thing is, we have choices!

Oh no!!! I’ll just comfort myself with most elegant revolver ever manufactured, the pinnacle of revolver design, the Colt’s Open Top Army Revolver!
Hey, there's nothing wrong with having your open-top Colt on your belt as your New York reload after you empty your Remington. That's how I'd use mine if I got caught in a time vortex and sent back to the late mid-19th Century.

Back