• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pet peeve anyone else have this one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They aren't going to allow their "stars" to be covered up in nasty old BP smoke! All that money for makeup and clothes to be lost in a cloud of smoke?

However -- I did watch Lord Of The Rings a few times -- no complaints, everything was historically correct correct for the time :imo:

:crackup:

::

:blah:

Jim.

:thumbsup:

You guys really know your stuff to spot all these anachronisms. The only one I have caught recently is the percussion lock in The Patriot.

HistoryBuff

Hey Flash,

I think the movie was PATTON and I found it rather ironic that M-47 patton II tanks were being used as german tiger tanks in a battle being witnessed by genral Patton

Smokeydays

Watching a good movie and then all of a sudden a gun comes into the scene and it is totally wrong for the era. That really ticks me off especially when it is a good movie (it really kills the mood) or they are using the right guns but there is no big puff of Black powder smoke. I have a hard time getting into it after that. :imo: :m2c:

Pennsylvania Newt :peace: (formerly hobbittcop)

It is even worse when you are familiar with the landscape, entering a tunnel in downtown Los Angeles and coming out in Malibu Canyon. :crackup:

I never go to a movie with a bunch of Re-enactors. We are worst than the kiddy matinee with the kids screaming in the movie. Now that dates me to the 50's and 60s'. :eek: :eek:
There were many problems with "Dances with Wolves", but the producers look for the visual that will entertain the movie goer....some try to be authentic...but they must make their money.

Like...did you know that none of the material in this movie was made by Indians but by a few very good "white" craftsmen and women who know the time period and what they were doing?
All the tipis(except for a few leather ones) were made in canvas by Nomadics tipi Makers. And that the real Indians in the movie supplied their own Eagle feathers when they could. Can't use the real ones because of the law.
:results: :results: :what:

vic...you're right...pushing the pistol don't help nary a bit. Everybody knows that ya have ta sling it down from yer shoulder (like Jingles) ta get the thing ta work!! ::

It is even worse when you are familiar with the landscape, entering a tunnel in downtown Los Angeles and coming out in Malibu Canyon. :crackup:

One that's kept me skeptical is "Bend of the River" with Jimmy Stewart. They get to the foot of some pretty rugged mountains in the Cascades by coming down a gently rollong, mile-wide river that is navigable by steamboat. Now I know that the tamed Columbia River gives steamboat rides today, but the Columbia that Lewis & Clark described sounded more like the Colorado than the muddy Mississip!

The one part in Jeremiah Johnson...he slips up on the crazy womans cabin and surprises the "sutler". The guys rifle goes off like a .22 and not a trace of smoke. I try to overlook that part.

The guy's finger ain't even on the trigger, ol' Jeremiah scared him, maybe it wasn't the gun that made the noise... :winking: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

I just have got to make another comment on this subject..... Ever notice that in the movies the bad guys are always lousy shots? Even with their own guns, they can not hit a barn door. But -- let the good guys get hold of the bad guys firearms and they are excellent shots -- even with guns they are not familair with!

The guy's finger ain't even on the trigger, ol' Jeremiah scared him, maybe it wasn't the gun that made the noise... :winking: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

:: :: :: I believe you might be right.

the little girl is tanya tucker.(in case you dident know)

The little girl in the root celler? Been watching that every since it came out and didn't know that. Learn something new everyday.

I know this one is kind of silly, but when I was a kid and watched the old Superman shows (Yes, they were old then.) in B&W, it always seemed strange that the bad guy would shoot at Superman, and he would stand there with his hands on his hips and let the six bullets hit him in the chest and bounce off harmlessly, but when the villain throws the gun at him, Superman ducks.

Smokeydays,

You are probably right. I can't remember what the movie was, but the scene of those "Tigers" advancing still sticks in my mind.

I know this one is kind of silly, but when I was a kid and watched the old Superman shows (Yes, they were old then.) in B&W, it always seemed strange that the bad guy would shoot at Superman, and he would stand there with his hands on his hips and let the six bullets hit him in the chest and bounce off harmlessly, but when the villain throws the gun at him, Superman ducks.

Sorry, but I can't for the life of me see the connection with muzzle loading! :blah:

Jim.

I found the western movie,... The Three Amigo's,... to be very PC. :hmm:

rollingb,

Did you watch it before your eyesight failed, or is there a braille version available? :crackup: :blah: :crackup:

Jim.

I found the western movie,... The Three Amigo's,... to be very PC. :hmm:

rollingb,

Did you watch it before your eyesight failed, or is there a braille version available? :crackup: :blah: :crackup:

Jim.

Actually I could only listen to the movie, but the pistols, and horses, "sounded" historicaly correct,.... plus, the movie also had the great all-time "american western hero" Steve Martin in it!! ::

YMHS
rollingb

:agree: Oh yeah! The "Battle of the Bulge" has to be the worst war picture ever. M-47's indeed! I've studied that campaign extensively and when I watched that movie a while ago, I cringed all the way through it. Not only were the weapons incorrect, the story was far from what really happened. "Shenandoah" is another classic CW movie that relied heavily on .45-70's. What was funny was watching one soldier loading one from the muzzle and the guy next to him loading from the breech. I'll have to say that the movies and mini-series made in the last few years have greatly improved when it comes to weapon correctness, i.e. "Gettysburg", "Band of Brothers", "The Patriot" and even "Lonesome Dove". They're not perfect, but a lot easier for guys like us to watch. My wife and daughter get irate when I rip a movie about weapons or uniforms.

Back